1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 16, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion that college football is still a great sport - fun and exciting - and it isn't that most schools are bad, but that the top schools are at a much higher level - like there should be a level above FBS. I don't know if the competitive imbalance is a good thing or a bad thing. It isn't like more than 10 teams ever really had a shot on a given year anyway. And the way the polls are "managed" now it is even more so.

maumann likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I mean, we went into this year knowing for a fact that half of the playoff field was already set: Clemson and at least one from the Alabama/Georgia/LSU mix.

Though with that schedule and the relative weakness of the ACC, I don't think Clemson can survive a loss and get in this year. But who the hell is going to beat them? Wake at home? LOL.

maumann likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Granted, I've only been seriously paying attention to it for one season and change. But is it just me, or does it seem like there's an unusual amount of heavy movement on betting lines this year? I'm seeing a lot of games in both college and the NFL where the line has shifted 3-4 points from where it opens to where it closes, often in the first couple of days.
    Last year it seems like you'd see lines move maybe a point over the course of the week, but if it shifted more than two it was pretty unusual. I counted eight games on vegasinsider.com where the line has already shifted three points or more, and several others where it's moved 1 1/2 or two points. The Nebraska-Illinois game has jumped six points, from Nebraska -7 to -13. In the NFL, the Patriots-Dolphins game moved five or six points pretty quickly, and the Dolphins-Cowboys game this week has done the same.
    Is that attributable to more nationwide action now that a number of states are taking sports bets? Or is it fairly normal and I just didn't notice it before?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It might just be a lot more "dumb money" getting in and the linemakers covering their backside.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not even one from the mix. It's Alabama. Maybe Georgia can sneak in, but it is a cut below. LSU is still a cut below both of them, and don't even try to compare Orgeron to Saban and Smart in head-coaching acumen.

For all of the "vortex of domination" BS, that league is ridiculously top-heavy. How many SEC games has Alabama lost in the last decade? It's not just teams from other P5 conferences that lose to Alabama; no one in the SEC can beat them either.

maumann likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're damn good. Saban is somewhere beyond damn good. Living here and not being a fan of the Almighty Tahd can be interesting.

There is no better team for a bandwagon jumper who likes his team winning a lot, except perhaps New England.

And yes, even if LSU has found a modern offense to go with their defense, I feel I can depend on Ogeron to hairball up a loss he shouldn't.

maumann likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

8-0 three times
    7-1 six times
    5-3 once

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I could be wrong but I think some of those Vegas Insider opening lines come out pretty early, two weeks or maybe even more (the Westgate in Vegas will have “look-ahead” Week 4 lines up later this week, briefly). So they’ll take some pounding into shape.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Okie Lite beats Texas outright.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Well, they couldn't be any worse than people think, so you may be right. But unless Trask's fourth quarter at Kentucky was a total fluke, I don't think there's any way the Vols even cover.

Sidenote: When was the last time Florida/Tennessee was played at noon? You could usually pencil that in for either 3:30 or 7:30.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

It hasn’t been a night game for quite some time. [EDIT: Except last year. Thanks, BTE] It was at noon five years ago or so, when it was a 10-9 abomination or something thereabouts. I was there.

Also, Florida’s last 10 years are littered with QBs who looked like the “one to turn it around” after a single good quarter. Driskel, Brissett, Brantley, Harris, Burton, Lee, Franks. Trask may do the trick, but Gators fans are holding their collective breath.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I agree. Mike Leach handicapping which Pac-12 mascot would win in a fight is peak Mike Leach.

"The tree's got no chance. Somebody will just cut him down."

expendable likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted