1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We all should have been tennis writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Golf writers still have it pretty good, but the hardest part of course is keeping the gig.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

John Junker tips his cap in recognition and appreciation.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by this idea of a media per diem for food provided by the tournament.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I'm impressed that most of the responses were the working conditions and not the food and perqs. I think a lot of these tourney would be better served hiring a top sportswriter to cover the event for them - or the entire tour. Give them free reign as long as they don't dump on the sponsors. Always imagined most tennis writers were just in it for the travel. It's probably the easiest "game" to cover - keep track of the broken serves and if someone is having an unusually high number of second serves. Note if a player is playing back or charging the net for volleys. Done.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Worked for a communications company that did work for Airbus and went to the Farnborough Air Show in 2012. The food and freebie situation was very similar to what these folks talk about. I’m still using lanyards from that show.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I covered an LPGA event in West L.A. in which one of the freebies was a very nice suitcase/garment bag that was supplied by a South Korean company that did not sell their products in the U.S. (long before eCommerce). I think it was called AiStar.

RonClements likes this.
  8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This is pretty common for events that often require members of the media to be there for 12-plus hours a day.

9. drexler

drexler New Member

But it is not, of course, a guarantee of quality.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sure, I guess I'm just more used to the event serving food or having your company pay for the meal (a la MLB) rather than the event itself giving you money to use at the venue.

11. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

In recent years, the Toronto Maple Leafs stopped serving media meals during the playoffs. Something to do with the increase in size of the media and scouting mobs. Instead, they hand out a voucher good for $20 at the concessions. Given the Leafs' prices, this gets you a sandwich and fries. But it's the equivalent of a $20-per-diem I suppose. However, considering the quality of the meals the Leafs serve has gone down in direct proportion to the success of the team it's a decent tradeoff.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

In my experience, per diem is better for longer events because you can eat on your own schedule. Golf and tennis, for example, often require a reporter to be out of the press area throughout the day, so serving food at a particular time doesn’t always make sense for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted