1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wrigley had a college football game there 2 or 3 years ago......Northwestern played someone (can't remember who)

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think they had the Northwestern-Illinois game. One problem with the Fenway setup, which I believe was true of Wrigley as well - the two benches were side by side. This can lead to trouble in a rivalry game. Harvard-Yale is often an astonishingly dirty game.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think Yankee Stadium is side by side as well........

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

At that Wrigley game, didn't they have bolt the goalposts to the wall?
    Found it. Yes they did.

football-wrigley-field.jpeg

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC they had both teams going the same way on offense the whole game to avoid collisions with the outfield wall.

Oracle Park in San Francisco also hosted a bowl, the Shrine game, the XFL and, for one season, Cal while Memorial Stadium was being rebuilt. Benches on the same side and one of the end lines abbuted the left field wall.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

With the Wrigley game, didn’t the powers that be make both teams’ offenses head towards the other end zone because they said it was too dangerous to face that end zone with the brick wall on the end line?

EDIT: Han beat me to it.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, they don’t look like they had a net behind the goal post. Would have been interesting for the kicker to kick the ball into the street and on the buildings across it. Maybe a broken window.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If the ball went into the ivy, the receiver would raise his hands, and they'd get a ground-rule 20-yard gain.

expendable, HanSenSE, Batman and 2 others like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They were counting on the crowd to throw the ball back onto the field.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Since it would be a bowl game, no big deal, except to the fans who bought seats in that end of the stadium.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll take UCF by 30. No shittin.

In other news, Tennessee is better than people think. Could beat Florida straight up.

Colorado in the desert? Maybe....

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The 7th ranked team is getting 13.5 from the 3rd ranked team. I just wish Notre Dame would stop pretending to be good until they are actually competitive.

Draft saved Draft deleted