1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

And the clean-up begins...

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How can they just now be hiring their first Asian American? That seems odd.

3. nietsroob17

Not always been the best about diversity. Before the pressure they faced in recent years, their only African-American women in the first 40 years were, what, Yvonne Hudson, Danitra Vance and Ellen Cleghorne?

Then you had Nasim Pedrad, who was born in Iran. Beyond that, just not a lot of different cultures tapped by casting.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Plenty of people willing and able to fill the role, so if you slip up and hire someone that’s crossed the line, the internet will let you know. Say oops and move on.

A worse situation for SNL is having that intern do the research, having a transcript of that podcast reach Lorne Michael’s desk, and then either overlooking it or saying, “Hey, that was bad but, this guy deserves a shot.” You may be better off letting the internet rage machine do it’s own vetting.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Like the president letting the press vet his cabinet and judge nominations.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Consider the attention they got for the first Asian-American hire - I do wonder if Gilles would have survived if he was just being mysoginistic - which SNL seems cool with.

Sorry BYM

9. nietsroob17

Quite the pompous guy he is.

10. DanOregon

Counting down to an appearance on Fox and Friends for being a victim of PC in 3, 2, 1.....

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No reason to be. I've known him for eight years. To say this doesn't surprise me is an understatement. I've heard enough at bars. It's the self-sabotage by him in both of his statements that's mind blowing.

12. DanOregon

Whether a podcast or a radio show - I have to imagine whether its some local nobody or Howard Stern, when you're a guest you aren't likely to say in the middle of it "well - that's not a word I use" - there is a tendency to go along with it. Granted - you should know which way the wind is blowing on these shows ahead of time - and a more talented comedian would say "Dude, my DAD is Asian" or pivot to something else like - "At least the food is good - it would be terrible if instead of Chinatowns we had ScottishTowns that only served haggis."

Draft saved Draft deleted