1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Understood.

Not knowing his state, if model employee Small Potatoes feels he was discriminated against and files a wrongful termination suit, would the company's unwillingness to specify a cause for the firing come back to bite it in court?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Depends. I'm obviously no lawyer, but I would think there would have to be a discrimination cited for a wrongful termination suit. Because he's a minority, a woman, a pregnant woman, in a protected class, because of a disability, something like that.

And not to go down another rabbit hole, but we have heard one side of the story. If his supervisor for those 3 days or whatever gave his account, I'm betting it wouldn't be very similar to SP's side of things.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have no interest in filing a lawsuit. I doubt I have a case since they don't need a reason to cut me loose. I guess because I'm older maybe if he said something like "You had trouble picking things up." or "You moved too slowly" a lawyer could interpret that as an age-discrimination issue, but that seems like a reach.

I'm still working the driving job and needed to give them two week's notice to make some adjustments in my schedule to fit in the weekend-only job at the hotel once the training was done and I was ready to fly solo. Maybe that was the issue, but I don't see what the harm would have been in saying that.

The main thing was, I never received any feedback from the manager that I was doing badly. I picked up some parts of the job quickly and he didn't seem concerned about me picking up the parts that were a little more difficult to me.

If you're going to let someone go for performance issues, it shouldn't be a surprise to them.

5. Smallpotatoes

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Did the company give a reason for the firing?
    If not, what is he going to do make up a reason that shows discrimination.
    You can be fired for no reason.
    You can't be fired for a bad (illegal, discrimination) reason.

7. Smallpotatoes

Is that why, from their perspective, it would be better to say nothing?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

would think so

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Most jobs I've had included a 60- or 90-day probationary period where you could be let go at any time. Once you got past that, though, you were pretty much golden.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’s in his probationary period, they don’t have to provide a reason other than it’s not working out.
    what is ridiculous?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Let me try that again.

Nope. :sigh:

I wish I had some verbal magic to offer. Been there, done that. Got to the point that I was almost phobic about being fired. I love what I do now and it's freed me to create things on my own terms. One thing I had to tell myself in getting from there to here was that I am not my job title. Maybe being the family fuckup helped. I knew I would never please anyone else, but my goodness, I needed decide I wasn't going to continually declare war on myself.

This is not written in the spirit of, "Waaaah!" so much as an attempt to let you know this is just a step to something better, not the end. Ride the ride. Here's a t-shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted