1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks.

47 stitches.

I wonder if they change the date.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow...as I mentioned up thread as nasty a cut as I ever saw a guy fight through - and win. I am sure Fury will be front and center at Wilder's next fight, to him the cut will be no big deal. He didn't even seem too distressed about it during the fight, didn't show a ton of urgency even after his corner was notified it was from a punch not a clash of heads.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Fury was actually in tremendous condition by his standards. I think his 254 weight was the smallest he's been since Klitchsko. He's never going to look chiseled out of rock like Anthony Joshua.

But Otto gave him a hell of a fight. Actually thought he could've stopped him in the 12th if not for Fury being smart and clinching a lot. Scorecards were a little off in this fight.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I do struggle to evaluate his fitness.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

Remember he was 400 pounds during his layoff. But I thought he looked good against Schwartz and I thought he looked really good against Otto in terms of his fitness.

Fury, when he's on his game, is a tough bastard. He has a gas tank, he won that fight in those middle and late rounds. That's why I've always thought he could beat Joshua easier than Wilder. Wilder's power from the 1st to the 12th round doesn't drop off but Joshua goes through serious conditioning issues during fights. He gassed out against Klitchsko but rallied once Wlad gassed himself out coming back in the fight.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fury will never be the body beautiful but conditioning was the least of his issues against Wallin. He is a tough guy and he'll fight Wilder in February no matter how that cut heals. He won't want to see a huge payday evaporate in the unlikely event Wilder gets beat before he can fight him again.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Spence and Porter turned out to be one of the better fights of the year and maybe the best welterweight title fight since De La Hoya vs. ike Quartey. I scored it 114-113 for Spence. Without the knockdown, I would have had it a draw. If I watched it 10 times, however, I'd probably come up with 10 different scores.

I still don't know how Spence would do against Bud Crawford. To me, it's still a 50-50 fight.

Are the PBC announcers not allowed to mention Bud Crawford? I find it odd that they'll talk about one of their guys, Tank Davis, facing another Top Rank guy, Lomachenko, but pretend Crawford doesn't exist.

The only fights I want to see Spence in are against Crawford and Manny Pacquaio and maybe a rematch with Porter. I don't care about a Spence/Danny Garcia fight. I doubt anyone does.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very entertaining rumble. I had it 115-112 Spence but as you say, could watch it 10 more times and come up with 10 different cards. Very few dominant rounds, each guy gave as good as he got. Even in the 11th, Porter got off the deck and went right after Spence.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

swell fight

the question now is how long we have to wait for Spence v Crawford.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

Great fight. Porter always get himself in trouble because he has too much faith in his chin. Tough guy and a great banger but he could've avoided the canvas there if he wasn't so eager to prove Spence couldn't hurt him.

Spence v. Crawford won't happen any time soon. Crawford is stuck fighting B-level competition because Top Rank doesn't have a roster at 147.

Al Haymon, meanwhile, has to try to convince Pacquiao to fight Spence, no dice yet.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Another good one last night.

So, does GGG ever get the third fight with Alvarez?

Draft saved Draft deleted