1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

How many past and present professional or collegiate sports teams can you name that were named after a U.S. state bird?

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Odds would say Phillies and Pirates, but maybe Mets and Cubs at some point in the 1960s? Or some pre-1900 teams.

maumann likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My guess is the Phillies and the old Boston Braves, mid-1930s.

maumann likes this.
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The Orioles and the former Atlanta Thrashers come to mind, and I think a few state have a cardinal as their state bird, though I don't know if any of the pro sports teams of that name have it specifically because it's the state bird.
    And, and some may know, the Nuggets were born as the Denver Rockets of the ABA. However, per Terry Pluto's book on the ABA, there was actually some discussion of naming the team the Colorado Lark Buntings, but the owner decided to name it Rockets after his trucking business.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yes, the famous 1962 Mets (40-120) finished the season against the ninth-place Cubs, who had also lost 100 games. I looked up 1898, where St. Louis and Washington both lost over 100 games, but their last meeting that season was Aug. 26.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. maumann

The 1928 Braves (103 losses) and Phillies (109) last played each other in a doubleheader on Sept. 8, then finished against the western teams. Let me make sure they didn't repeat that futility, since the Phillies were really good at accomplishing that.

7. maumann

Stunningly, the Florida State Bird is the northern mockingbird. How it isn't a snowy egret, an ibis or a flamingo is absurd.

ADanielPandR likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

Whose career home run record did Babe Ruth break?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Roger Connor, I think.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

Correct, Roger Connor. Though, it wasn’t discovered until later.

11. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

You're right, the cardinal is pretty common. I don't know for sure, but I would guess the University of Louisville chose the cardinal because of its status as Kentucky's bird. It is also the state bird of Illinois, and Arizona's NFL team did start as the Chicago Cardinals.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Mets and Phillies?

Draft saved Draft deleted