1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last month, I was a hotel clerk for three days. It seemed to be going OK. I picked up most parts of the job pretty well and while I struggled with some other parts, the manager didn't seem concerned and as best I could tell, he was confident I would get better at those things.

On the fourth day I was scheduled he sent me a text saying "After careful consideration I decided to take you off the schedule permanently." He didn't give a reason. I asked for one and I never got one.

While I know I was at-will and could be let go at any time for any reason or no reason and I realize they don't owe me a reason, it just seems to me that if I was doing that badly, it should not have been a surprise to me. Either I'm the least self-aware person who ever lived or the guy's a shitty manager.

If it's something that could cause me trouble at other jobs, I'd like to learn from it if I could.

I'm not buying the excuse that it's better for them to say nothing than something that could be used against them in court.

Oh, I found a group and I'm going Wednesday.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Burying the lede.

Great news to start my Sunday. Keep moving forward, man.

garrow, Dyno and Vombatus like this.
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sounds like the guy was a shitty manager. I would be furious if I was let go without a reason.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No. That would be Oop.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look count your blessings; would you want to work for someone like that anyways?

Smallpotatoes and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Are employers really that worried about lawsuits?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For $500 per hour; answer is YES.

8. Smallpotatoes

And it's better not to give a reason because any good lawyer can make a case out of any reason they could give me?

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would just be glad you're not working for that guy anymore. What a terrible, cowardly manager. Just move on, and, if you felt pretty good about the hotel clerk work, perhaps you could look for another, similar job.

If you went into one now, you'd probably even feel like you have a little "experience" at it, and not be going into it totally blind. It does seem like it could be a good direction that could, potentially, lead to other opportunities in the hotel industry/hospitality industries.

As DanielSimpsonDay wrote, keep moving forward. It's great that you've found a group that might work for you. Give it a try and a good amount of time to see if it does help you. But I think you'll be relying more on your own strength before too long, and I really believe something good is going to happen for you, also before too long. Maybe it'll occur in an unexpected way, or come from an unexpected or unintended, direction, but I think it's going to happen.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That depends. Are you thinking about suing?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Isn't "I was fired without cause or explanation" another thing you could sue for?

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

On what grounds?

In an at-will state, you can be fired because your boss doesn't like your eyebrows. Cause is irrelevant. And to sue because you didn't get an explanation? Yeah, no.

Draft saved Draft deleted