1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football, Week 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 9, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So MD has lost it's sixth straight the week they've first been ranked. Gotta be a record in futility, no?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

An extra round of playoffs would also be one more game for, literally, four teams out of 130, and two more games for two teams out of 130. Never understood how they can make that argument with a straight face.

maumann likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Geez, I didn't even realize Maryland ran a disastrous fake field goal early in the game. What a shit show that game was for them.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

South Carolina gets screwed a bit with a potential touchdown that wasn't replayed, then can't score on fourth and goal heading into the half. On top of it, and not that it matters, the last two seconds also ran off the clock at the end of the fourth down play so Alabama didn't even have to take a knee inside their own 5.
    CBS reporter asked Will Muschamp about it and he responded, "I'll get fined for the rest of my life if I comment on it."

maumann likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Geoff Collins is probably checking on flights back to Philly. Meanwhile, Justin Fuente has to be thinking about his future.

In addition, Boston College lost to Kansas at Chestnut Hill. N.C. State just helped the state's furniture industry as Morgantown burns its couches as the 'Neers take out the Wolfpack.

Never mind the game in Winston-Salem because of Swofford and his "vision."

maumann likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Usually coaches get better at being head coaches with experience. I've never seen anyone go backwards as quickly as Pat Narduzzi. 2015 Narduzzi would have gone for it on 4th and 1. So glad I went golfing instead of watching those two turd teams. And yes, Penn State is a turd team. When you have as much superior talent as Penn State allegedly has you should win that game in a blowout. And spare me the, "well, anything can happen in a rivalry game" shit. The only excuse is that James Franklin, as I've said multiple times, is an idiot. He's Narduzzi with better athletes.

playthrough and maumann like this.
  7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Collins is doing a full program overhaul, changing scheme and basically making half the roster he inherited useless. It's going to take a while. Fuente has a different set of problems as he's had some strange attrition in the program in the past off season.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know, naf. And that's absolutely correct. But it doesn't make a loss like that much less painful.

Getting dumptrucked by Clemson is pretty much the norm. But The Citadel? Ouch.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Say what you want, but Central Florida is crushing a Pac-12 school that could land in a big bowl. The excuse, 'they don't play anybody' is holding less and less water. Do they deserve a spot in the top four? Probably not. But they're a damn sight better than 10 of 14 SEC teams right now.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd put UCF in the top 10 - I'd rather have them in a playoff discussion than a team that has already proven they don't belong. But this might be the worst Stanford team Shaw's had. And the Pac-12 is a disaster this year. Feel-good story Colorado just crapped out against the Air Force at home.
    When it's September and your conference hopes are all riding on Utah - ya got problems.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I can't think of a season since the scholarships were limited where the conference favorites have such an extreme advantage (easy road) to their respective championships.

It's mid-September and we're basically already assuming:

ACC: Clemson
    Big Ten: Ohio State/Michigan winner
    Big 12: Oklahoma
    Pac 12: Utah
    SEC: Alabama/Georgia winner
    AAC: Central Florida

Barring any amazing upsets -- is Notre Dame really going to catch Georgia in a trap game? -- that's your best six (actually eight) teams. And the separation from them to the rest is an abyss.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

While recognizing my alum status...

Not at all sure why anyone would assume Utah over Oregon in the Pac 12 right now.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted