1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Montreal Canadiens?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Yes

3. Baron Scicluna

I figured they had a long history of winning, so why not?

Reading up on that series now. It was Georges Vezina’s last games. The story of his last game on opening night the next season is really sad.

4. Baron Scicluna

This Baseball Hall of Famer had Ty Cobb as a distant cousin and was also related by marriage to Babe Ruth. Who was he?

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

No idea, so I looked and couldn’t find it, but found three people executed for witchcraft in salem in his family tree as well as John Ritter who father was Tex and there was Tex Cobb, who I always believed was somehow related to Ty.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Johnny Mize? (Changed my pick.)

7. maumann

8. Baron Scicluna

Yep.

His cousin Claire was Ruth’s second wife.

9. maumann

Wow. That was just a "hey, who's in the Hall of Fame from Georgia?" and Johnny Mize grew up (and is buried) 12 miles from here. Coincidentally, Ty Cobb's last apartment was in Cornelia, which is no more than five miles down the road from Mize's Demorest home -- and where Gwen taught school.

I blame local knowledge for ruining your question so quickly.

10. Baron Scicluna

No worries. I was just reading SABR’s biography of Mize and thought it was a helluva coincidence.

Clicking on the old guys’ pics on Baseball Reference and then checking their stats and bios is quite the fun rabbit hole.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

To be honest, my first guess was Dixie Walker. Then I thought of Mize because Walker's not in the Hall.

12. maumann

If you haven't looked on the MLB thread, here's a pretty good one. The Tigers and Orioles have become the first American League teams with 100-plus losses in the same season to play each other. Can you name the first teams to do it in the National League?

Draft saved Draft deleted