1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 2 NFL: Bills Go for State Championship of either New York or New Jersey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Sep 10, 2019.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Cam is beat up and washed up, it's not from running. It's from taking hits in the pocket.

expendable likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A lot of people owe Newton an apologize and a tons of cash. Everyone who said he was going to redefine the position of QB, that he’s the face of the league as a super big, super athletic QB who was a dual threat were fucking wrong. Newton basically proves the point that a dual threat NFL QB is a shooting star. The people who thought that a QB needs to be passer, who can move and run, but primarily a passer, were ridiculed for being troglodytes or racists. a 9 or 11 year NFL career is a remarkable achievement. Maybe as an athletic and fast classic style QB Newton would have been barely average and not an MVP and would not have lasted 10 years. Maybe if he moderated his running to complement his passing he could have 10 time All Pro.
    I thinks it’s clear now that in 10 years the initials after his name are more likely to be CTE, than HOF. And that’s left to the people with no scar tissue who wanted Newton to be Superman

3. heyabbott

The Panthers never did him any favors. Newton was a great runner from the position, but he was sacked so often its like he either thought no one could bring him down or without a designed run he wasn’t a scrambler.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He has some kind of a leg or ankle injury, I think. It’s affecting his ability to both run and throw.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I still think Audrey wore it better.

[​IMG]

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd call that indisputable photo evidence.

sgreenwell and CD Boogie like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mr. Doubtfire.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Whynotboth.gif? I mean, it didn't help that the Panthers had a bizarre fetish with giving lavish contracts to middling RBs during his early career, but his style of play probably didn't help matters either. In the early to mid-2010s, it looked like there was a new class of QB that combined running ability with throwing ability - Cam, RG3, Kap - and all three of them had injury issues. (There are also probably some other QBs that fit that bill that I'm forgetting about.) It helps if you have a QB that's mobile - like Rodgers, Mahomes and even Brady aren't statues out there - but the percentage of pass-to-run probably needs to be more like, 90/10 or 80/20, vs. 75/25 or lower.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised one of the sports networks or E! hasn't launched a daily or weekly style show - a stylist would explain what was going on, a comedian would trash it and some old timer would talk about a great suit he's had for 30 years.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Cam Newton isn't having a lousy start because he's run a bunch of times during his career.

He's having a bad start because he hurt his ankle while being sacked in the preseason. Plus he's not recovered from a shoulder injury from being sacked last season.

Sorry about you're "I'm not a racist" narrative.

2muchcoffeeman and JC like this.
  11. heyabbott

Apology accepted.

He stays in the pocket too long because he’s been coached to believe he’s Superman. He’s taken way too many hits in and out of the pocket. The cumulative effect will cut short his career. Brady Eli Brees Rivers Rogers have gotten hit a lot too, but they avoid being hit because they have an intelligent fear reaction.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Now do Andrew Luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted