1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 2 NFL: Bills Go for State Championship of either New York or New Jersey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Sep 10, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They still have the best offensive line in football. If they play to that level and give Big Ben time to hit those receivers on double moves, everything will be fine. Week one is often a shit show bc the first team hasn’t played together much, especially against another team’s first team. I won’t judge this team until September is done.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The ABC station in Tampa is showing the debate tonight and put Bucs-Panthers on its sister station
    Don't know if it had a choice
    The local broadcast of a national game usually makes much $$$ for a local station

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fourth and an inch, with the best running QB in football, and Newton doesn't sniff the ball. Nice play-calling.

Review is killing football. Last two minutes took 15 to play.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't watch the game, just saw the final and the box score. It's not every day a team scores 14 points without scoring a touchdown.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looked at the box score - still don't see how Tampa won. Ron Rivera should start updating the old resume.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Anyone recall seeing someone put as much effort to throw as Newton? Painful to see.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Carolina is awful.
    Cam looks like he's 45.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what's worse for Cam -- losing to Jameis Winston at home or coming out for the post-game presser looking like this:

upload_2019-9-13_7-1-39.png

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So did Cam Newton redefine what the position of QB is or did he demonstrate that the conventional wisdom was conventionally correct? There have always been QBs who can scramble and run but Cam was going to be a great passer who was a great runner and change the face of the game. But even a 6’6” 245lb rock gets chips and Cracks if you run too much. And the Panthers did him no favors by under developing their OLine because, well, Cam is Superman and doesn’t need a great line.

BTW I hope Lamar Jackson is taking notes, moving in the pocket and escaping a rush in order to throw is a great skill, running from the QB position will shorten your career and effectiveness

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ha, I thought the same thing this morning. I went to bed at 9:15 last night because I seem to be fucking old.

Batman likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Winston and Mariota, #1&2 in 2015 draft. Which one was going to succeed and which one fail? Neither. Both turned out to be rather average.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hard to believe Newton's been in the league nine years, but yeah this might be the beginning of the end. Running backs break down a lot sooner so for a big running QB he's probably done well to go this long.

Draft saved Draft deleted