1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Bob McGinn just posted that he is permanently shutting down his website and going to work for the Athletic.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sounds accurate. $150K going to the best-of-the-best reporters and editors.

$80 is generous, as some younger reporters are likely making $65-$80K, if you can believe it.

Pilot likes this.
  3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

This seems like a natural progression for Bob - he's not challenging for readers' dollars and can work on his own schedule, I presume. Also, a smart hire by The Athletic as (most) Packers fans have always craved his stuff + who doesn't love his draft previews?

RonClements likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Funny that Bloomberg keeps getting these Atlantic scoops.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I know in some markets The Athletic covers high schools. Would they ever consider doing national polls like USA Today and Max Preps?

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Where does The Athletic cover high schools?

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I think they do some HSFB in the Dallas or Houston markets? Maybe something down in South Florida too?

9. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I do find it interesting that Athletic writers cannot speak to the size of their specific market in comparison to other markets, but instead have to refer to the national 600,000 number.

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

They also cover the Minnesota state high school hockey tournament

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I'm sure they pick and choose what they do in Texas, South Florida, Caliornia, etc. when it comes to preps. I'm guessing they will have a writer at a big basketball game/tournament in Chicago too.

I remember seeing the front of the Star-Tribune not knowing it was HS hockey tournament time and it was an amazing front-page blowout. Made me want to grab some GA tickets because they presented it as the biggest sporting event in the state (which is probably is).

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Did the Athletic hire the guy who rates the hair of the players? I think he refers to it as 'flow.'

Draft saved Draft deleted