1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP T. Boone Pickens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Like him or not, the man WAS Oklahoma State University.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

First ballot Name Hall of Fame

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

THE Boone Pickens (crossthread).

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Remind me never to play this course. I'll probably unearth the poor bastard with one of my divots.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I met him a few times. Everyone is using the description "larger than life," and that is true, but for a guy who had a great deal of success with just about everything he touched businesswise, his folksiness was pretty genuine and he had a decent sense of humor. If there is an afterlife, he'd probably be laughing his ass off watching you duff away at his body on a golf course.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all the money poured into the program - the pokes have the same number of top 10 finishes in the last 40 years as Cal.

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The guest green fee is $400. In Stillwater, Oklahoma. Need any more reminders?

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm not within his generation, but what's his deal? I saw the news and thought, "just another dead rich, white guy. So what?"

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I used to tape some TV segments at a studio outside Dallas where T Boone used to do his regular hits on Fox. One day I'm sitting in the break room going over scripts and he comes in by himself, asks if he could join me for lunch, sits down at the small table and pulls a PB&J whitebread sandwich out of a paper bag and a Diet Coke. We chit-chatted about some such. It was like he was from Mayberry. Only not.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oklahoma State is Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas and, um, that's it. They have about as much tradition as Virginia Tech and Iowa. Always in the mix, or so it seems, and never close to bringing home the goods.

Draft saved Draft deleted