1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Wasn’t trump the first non General with no experience elected? So, the answer is zero?

2. cyclingwriter2

I know it happened during the War of 1812, but can’t remember what place they evacuated to for a few days.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't it York, PA.?

4. cyclingwriter2

Maybe? I recently met someone who lived in York and he mentioned a ton of facts about York that I never knew (Paul revere is buried there). He didn’t say anything about a capital, but I also don’t think he was the definitive source of York History.

5. Another fun fact: Tyler still has living grand children.

Wenders and CD Boogie like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Pre or post Constitution?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Post Constitution

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The answer is zero, but Taft and Hoover also held no elective office prior to becoming POTUS.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not York, which did serve as the temporary capital during the Revolutionary War. But close.

10. Spartan Squad

I was thinking Lancaster, Pa (which served for one day during the revolution) but if it was post Constitution I'm not sure.

11. Spartan Squad

Since we've moved on, the answer is Lincoln's dog Fido who was killed by a drunkard about a year after Lincoln was killed

maumann and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brookeville, Maryland. James Madison fled there on August 26, 1814 as the British burned Washington. He arrived with a strong box which contained the nation’s treasury. He directed the War from this location until the British left to attack BALTIMORE at Fort McHenry. Where the rockets’ red glare, the bombs burring in air, gave proof through the night ....

maumann, CD Boogie and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted