1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The difference here, I think, is that Belichick never sat in a post-game presser, looked over at Jack DelRio and said, "I think we're going to let you win this week so we don't have to face Pittsburgh."

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't like it in those circumstances, either. It's not as easy to force teams to play to win in the NBA or the NFL. Intentionally screwing up to lose is not acceptable. A real team resting key players because the game either doesn't matter or you may be better off with a loss isn't the same thing. In an NFL game especially, that has value due to the relatively high risk of injury.

Sitting your key players in a fantasy baseball league doesn't help keep them healthy. It's just my opinion. I absolutely get it if others see things differently.

3. outofplace

That is the most important difference here, yes.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s horseshit. You should have to start your strongest lineup or they should be fined. Obviously it depends on how much you are playing for but these aren’t real players who need rest.

5. outofplace

How many people here are in leagues that continue through next week? My money league is rotisserie-style scoring and we just go to the final day, which gets annoying with so many teams shutting guys down next week. The league has daily transactions, too, so it will be a high-maintenance week just trying to get something resembling a full lineup out there. Do you think all leagues should wrap up a week ahead of the end of the regular season?

I'm in third place, six points out of first and six points ahead of fourth. The top four teams are in the money. Fourth place just means my league fee is covered for next season. If I want a check, I've got to hold on to third. Given that my team was a bag full of hot garbage when I took it over before the 2018 season, contending this quickly is an accomplishment, but that will be little consolation if I can't at least hold my current spot. We really have six of 15 teams in contention for the money with a little over a week to go, which is good by the standards of the league.

I'm so not ready for the end of baseball season.

6. outofplace

These are the moments that drive fantasy baseball players nuts. Going into today's games, I was within three points of first place in my money league. My pitching has come on of late after being a weakness much of the season. Mike Fiers was coming off a string of ugly outings, including two brutal starts while he tried to pitch through a sore arm, so I sat him today. Of course, he is dominating the Rangers, taking a shutout into the ninth inning.

My team has been really good today, pushing me within a point of first place, but I'm busy being annoyed with my lineup error. Anybody else got a good story of a bad choice?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I forgot to deactivate Brandon McCarthy on NIAFL Championship Week Sunday 2 years ago ... and he came on as a reliever and walked a batter, which lowered my K/BB a few percentage points, which gave Machine Head the lead in that category, which made it 6 to 6, which is how it ended, which gave Machine Head the title based on the tiebreaker. A single walk undid 24 weeks of work lol but it was my fault. #RIPRon

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  8. outofplace

Ouch. That does sound like one that would stick with you. I've had a few choices blow up in my face lately, but they made sense at the time. Those are the times you have to remind yourself that you did a lot right to be in that position in the first place. My money league team was a complete disaster when I took it over before the 2018 season and now I've got a shot at the championship in only my second season. I'm trying very hard to focus on the positive.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  9. outofplace

With one week to go, I had taken over first place in my money league, but it didn't last. I was two points out entering the final day's games, but Clevinger's stinker dropped me to third place. I can't complain too much about finishing in the money in year two after taking on a 14th-place team in a 15-team keeper league, but damn that was a tease.

10. bigpern23

I wound up winning my categories league, which I really dominated throughout the year. I finished like 16 games ahead of second place to win the regular season title and easily won the championship round. I squeaked out a win in the semis, where I led 10-3 heading into the weekend but found myself trailing 7-6 entering Sunday. Seth Lugo blew up and Buehler lowered my ERA a bit to flip two categories and I advanced 7-6.

My dynasty season ended with a 3rd-place finish in the semis, basically because I had fewer pitchers get two starts. My guys played well, but he got like 14 starts to my nine. Had I only made it last that game, I would have easily won the Championship the following week, but those are the breaks.

I can’t wait until my auction draft.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  11. outofplace

I know that feeling, though I still have to figure out my keepers before I can worry about the auction in my money league.

12. bigpern23

Just booted the colluding guy from our league. I had settled on letting it slide because it ultimately didn't affect anything, but then he went and opened his mouth.

I sent out an end-of-season wrap-up message today in which I noted some changes for next season. I mentioned that teams who obviously collude with each other would be subject to having their rosters locked and be ejected from the league. The moron said he had a big problem with that rule because if he wants to sit players to set up a better playoff scenario for himself, it's his right. He also called me "fuckin' bush league" because for the past two seasons, rather than playing a third-place consolation game, third-place money has gone to the semifinal loser with the most points on the season, as sort of a bonus for 22 weeks of performance. This season, it happened that I got the third-place money and he didn't.

I told him it's bush league to tell another owner who you are playing against that you want them to have a bye so you're going to intentionally lose the week, and since he would obviously do it again given the circumstances, he's gone.

Guy caused 90 percent of the headaches I have in this league. Good riddance.

Draft saved Draft deleted