1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can't fathom how bad that hurt.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Insert caption here:

upload_2019-9-11_8-6-50.png

"Psst.....hey man.....it's my kneecap."

OR

"DOC......CAN YOU SEE THE HEAD YET?!?!?!?"

Attached Files:

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Then there’s the Cubs. They fell way behind the Padres, tied the game to force extras then lost on a hit and three consecutive walks to the bottom of the lineup, the last on four pitches

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

My son was really annoyed by this one. Look at the parade of minor leaguers Boone pulled out of the bullpen to protect this one. He's in coast-mode. Not sure why- home field matters.

maumann likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in Seattle.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gray has thrown 100+ pitches and they're in the 7th. Nothing gonna happen.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Broken up. And the Mariners avoid getting no-hit for the third time this season.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Mets finished with 9 runs and 11 hits on 9/11.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They have 95 wins and a lead of 8.5 games in the division. The only thing they have left to play for is home field. This is a team that has battled injuries all season. I'm not sure Yankee fans have much to complain about regarding their team or their manager.

10. outofplace

Kevin Gorman: It’s time for Pirates to clean house, top to bottom | TribLIVE.com

Speaking of embarrassments, this is a pretty good breakdown of the disaster that is the Pittsburgh Pirates. For a few years, it seemed as if Neil Huntington could bring some respectability despite an owner who refuses to spend what it takes to compete and forces the organization to always take the cheap route, but he has made some disastrous moves the last couple of years. Trading Gerrit Cole, a financially-driven move even though he had two years left on his contract at the time, turned out to be every bit as bad as I said it would be. Cole has taken steps forward last year and this season, emerging as one of the top seven or eight starting pitchers in MLB. Verlander is going to keep him from the Cy Young Award, but who else in the American League is better?

The key player in that deal for the Pirates was Joe Musgrove, a mediocre starter who can't stay healthy. The only other useful player they got was Colin Moran, a middling third baseman who wasn't even a starter when the season opened.

Even worse, the Pirates traded for a replacement last season in Chris Archer, though the key there was a manageable contract. It certainly wasn't his production. Archer's numbers were declining before the Pirates got him and that has continued. Injuries limited him to 23 starts this season and he has an ugly 5.19 ERA. That cost them Austin Meadows, an emerging star for the Rays, and another pitcher with upside in Tyler Glasnow.

In short, perhaps the Pirates wouldn't be on the verge of falling 20 games under .500 if they had Cole leading their rotation and Meadows near the top of the lineup, but when the financial bottom line is always the priority, bad things tend to happen.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I do think that with baseball, a bad owner is probably more detrimental than the other sports, because the best teams often get that way by making repeated good decisions. From the outside looking in, I've always thought that Huntington is a good GM, but it doesn't matter if you're not going to give him the ability to pay guys.

maumann likes this.
  12. outofplace

I think Huntington could do great things with an owner who gives a damn, but Nutting isn't that owner. All Nutting seems to care about is doing just enough that he can lie to the fans about trying to win and enough of them will believe his crap and continue to buy tickets.

Even worse, when fans see through Nutting's bullshit and stop showing up, he just uses that as an excuse to cut even more payroll.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted