1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antonio Brown sued - he deserves his own thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 10, 2019.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Dude. Good grief.
    I don't know who "y'all" is in your diatribe, but since you're responding to my post about why reputable sports journalists didn't run with a rumor they heard about an alleged rape ... well, if you think I'd protect the NFL shield or a player because it's good "for business," you, my friend, are even more bonkers than your previous rants suggest.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He’s the biggest shit show ever, right?

This has surpassed Rodman and TO, right?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cover now provided to all. It’s he said, she said. You can’t prove it. Play ball. On to Cincinnati

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

hab?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The American media landscape as it has evolved over the last couple of decades. ...

1) Reputable media sources that don't report rumors, because they are rumors and there isn't proof or multiple sources confirming. ... are shielding someone. ... or they are shills. It's not that they are doing the job in as responsible a way as possible. This came up with baseball and PEDs.
    2) The flip side is, with the Internet and click bait and with twitter making it so easy to pass along stuff, there are plenty of people who do promulgate rumors and dubious info. And of course, that sometimes gets used to help feed a "fake news" narrative that every media outlet gets painted with.

Some of the same people who do the shill thing in the first instance, are the same people who will do the fake news thing in the second instance. It's unreasonable, but I think for most of those people the point isn't about getting honest, truthful info.

As for Antonio Brown, stories this morning are saying the Pats were blindsided by the rape allegations. I hope it's true. He deserves the presumption of innocence, legally at least, but with all of his problems and the mess he brings with him, if they signed him knowing there was a rape allegation too, it's such a bad look for them as an organization.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Considering he was a Steeler when this allegedly occurred, I'm sure everyone in Pittsburgh will give this black guy the same benefit of the doubt as they did a decade ago with that fat-headed interception machine.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is now. Not a banner piece, but it is there.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Incarceratedbob reappears. This is from September 6th.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm booking my stay in the ER now when I literally laugh my ass off if that happens

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know racism in Pittsburgh is a favorite narrative of yours and I get exactly where you are coming from on that, but this isn't a fair comparison at all. Roethlisberger was still a Steeler at the time. Brown has since forced his way off the team and generally behaved like a complete ass. Roethlisberger had already led the team to a Super Bowl championship. Brown has not done that. Despite the idiocy Roethlisberger had displayed at times, such as the motorcycle accident, he had built up goodwill in Pittsburgh before he was accused of rape.

Brown once had goodwill there, too, but he didn't just burn that bridge over the last few months, he pissed on the ashes. Brown is generally hated by Steelers fans, who make up a very large percentage of the population in Pittsburgh. To claim that race is the only variable in how the people of Pittsburgh react to this news in comparison to the accusations against Roethlisberger is utter bullshit. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Pittsburgh, but that its residence will react differently to the accusation against Brown than they did to the accusations against Roethlisberger is not among those legitimate reasons.

To be clear, I'm not saying there is no racism in Pittsburgh and I'm not defending Roethlisberger. I still think the guy is a bad person, possibly even worse than Brown. But really, the comparison you made here was crap and I think you know it.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to read a book detailing what it is like working in NFL Security or team security. It must be a nightmare having to bury and/or clean-up messes left behind by the players and owners.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted