1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Eau Claire, Wisc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

Description:
    The Leader-Telegram, an award-winning daily newspaper based in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, is seeking an energetic sports reporter for its 20,000 circulation daily newspaper in west-central Wisconsin.

Our coverage includes high school and Division III athletics in and around a community of 65,000 people.

Requirements
    Candidates should be experienced in writing and reporting sports and be able to write stories that go beyond simple game coverage. Any multimedia background is preferred.

Vehicle required for traveling with a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record according to Adams Publishing Group policy.

Please e-mail a cover letter, résumé and three to five writing samples to Sports Editor Jack Goods at jack.goods@ecpc.com.

No phone calls please.

An Equal Opportunity Employer.

Benefits
    The fringe benefits include medical (split between employer and employee), dental and vision options (employee paid). There are three company-sponsored benefits, including short-term disability, long-term disability and a term life insurance policy. The company pays for these six major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). In addition, employees accrue 3.33 hours of paid leave per pay period in the first year of employment (80 hours) and increasing to 5.0 hours per pay period (120 hours) after their one-year anniversary of employment. The company has the option of making a discretionary match to the 401K retirement plan after year’s end.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The Dougs still there?

Also, unless I'm reading this wrong, you start with zero paid time off for the first year. I fucking hate places that do that. You're already paying your employees a pittance (I'm guessing less than $30K; at least that's what it was 10 years ago), why not at least give them some fucking time off?

Writer likes this.
  3. Jack Goods

Jack Goods New Member

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. The reporter would earn 3.33 hours of PTO per pay period, equaling 80 hours in the first year. It jumps to 120 in the second year.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They don't get two weeks until after the first year, yes?

So they accrue it as they go? After how long can they use that PTO?

If I read that wrong, I apologize. It just seems an awful lot like how a lot of smaller papers work.

5. Jack Goods

Jack Goods New Member

I believe you have to wait something like two months, but if something comes up like it did when I first got here 11 months ago they can make an exception. Once that first period is over you get 3.33 hours per pay period, so you can use it as you go.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted