1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 NFL: The Chiefs march to the Super Bowl begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Little brother Kal-El is supposed to be the best of them all.

Batman likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Should probably be in the Hall of Fame, too.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Julian Edelman, Hines Ward and to a lesser extent, Antwan Randel-El all scoff in your general direction. Even Jim Jensen had a productive season or two.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't like Payton, it doesn't go much beyond that.
    And if you're going to try and pull a gotcha on your Uncle Fart, at least spell dude's name right.

5. outofplace

To which dude are you referring? If you are going to call me out for spelling, perhaps you shouldn't leave words out of your post. If you meant only one dude, it should be a dude or the dude, not "spell dude's name right..."

I wouldn't call it a gotcha, but those guys all show that it is sometimes worthwhile to draft guys like that with the idea of moving them to receiver.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Antwaan Randle El.
    I am not in the habit of wiping babies' asses for a living.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You stole that from John McKay.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. outofplace

No, you're in the habit of metaphorically smearing what you wipe off your own ass all over threads here when someone dares to point out a flaw in the content of something you wrote.

Your post seemed to be arguing that teams shouldn't bother with guys like Hill. I posted the names of three examples of guys show that you might be wrong because they all moved to receiver either during their college careers or in the NFL and had success. That there was a spelling error in my post doesn't change the flawed content of yours, and it is particularly funny that while you were criticizing me for being careless, you left a word out of your post.

None of that changes the fact that your premise is flawed. Edelman, Randle El and Ward are just three guys who show that such players can pay off for an NFL team. There have been other examples. Often such gambles by teams fail, but taking a guy who has to change positions at the professional level can work at many positions. I mentioned three examples. There are others. If I remember correctly, Brian Urlacher was primarily a safety in college and became a Hall of Fame middle linebacker.

I agree with you that Hill shouldn't be taking snaps from Brees, but that doesn't mean the guy can't be useful.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm talking more about the hybridization of NFL player positions, started in earnest with the rise of the 'joker' tight end (Antonio Gates, etc).
    This is why people give you a hard time.
    And I have made an effort to be a better citizen around here (amazing how kinder the place seems to be with the exodus of certain problem children), and I'm not going to be drawn into another silly debate with you.
    As you say - learn to read.

10. outofplace

You are the one who turned this into an argument and now you want to complain about it being an argument. You claim you don't want to get into another argument, yet you end your post with a snide comment. Do you see the problem there?

You wrote, and I quote, "...if I want a wide receiver I'll just draft a wide receiver." That is the part to which I responded. My comment was, at worst, gentle teasing and you turned it into a thing. If you want to be a better citizen, don't do what you did here, which was to make a problem where there was none.

Perhaps now we can move past complaints about spelling errors (mine), leaving words out (you did that), cleaning diapers and smearing feces. Let's get back on topic.

There are two different points at play. One is a matter of projecting players to new positions or multiple positions, which was addressed above. The other is hybridization, which isn't really new. How is the Gates example that different from the H-back as Joe Gibbs used them with the Redskins, which really isn't that different from positions that existed well before Clint Didier was catching passes from Joe Theismann?

Coaches doing dumb shit in an attempt to look like geniuses isn't a new thing, either. Sometimes it works and we have innovation. Other times, it never works at all. I agree with you regarding the Saints' use of Hill. I suspect you are right in saying that is an example trying too hard to look like a genius.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

It's a toy, yes. They're paying one guy to do multiple things rather than paying two, ostensibly to open a roster spot.
    I remember when Steve Young had that long, open-field touchdown run against the Vikings.
    He said Bill Walsh told him (I'm paraphrasing): "That was awesome Steve, but next time can we just throw it to Jerry so it looks less awkward?"
    The H-back was a response to having to block elite pass rushers in the NFC East at the time. Gibbs has admitted it didn't always work so well.

As an aside - anyone who played fantasy football in its Mesozoic era might also remember the arguments over how to classify Eric Metcalf.
    (There were some funny fights over this back in the day.)
    Metcalf had a running back's number and was listed on the active roster as a halfback, but was used almost exclusively as a wideout in a modified run and shoot in Atlanta, and later in Arizona.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted