1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football, Week 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That headline cannot be more incorrect.
    It is not forcing the NCAA to pay athletes.

Can you get a link that is not 100% wrong?

3. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Agree with the first sentence, but not the second one, at least for my part of the Deep South -- and for Tuscaloosa too, per a quick look at Weather Underground. Humidity is at its highest around 5am; it's temperatures that are at their lowest (well, their least high).

maumann likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And those bowl games of 6-6 teams fill hours upon hours of airtime for ESPN, with pretty good ratings because there's nothing else to do in December and ... gambling!

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Those conference not playing nine conference games will do it when they are being punished for not doing it. As of now the conferences that do play nine games are the ones taking it on the chin.

To be honest I wish it was 10 conference games. The less scheduling flexibility with these guys the better.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On the one hand - those SEC-FCS games probably keep more than a few FCS (and some lower G5) programs afloat - take away 14 of them - plus a few bowl games for the 6-6 teams - it's a big impact.

7. nafselon

I thought the FCS were making more money than they are on these games. I was looking up some of the agreements and I was surprised as the payouts. The G5 schools are doing well with these games. Tennessee is spending $2.5 million for Georgia State and UAB alone.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was one of the arguments for schools like Coastal Carolina moving up to FBS. You get more guarantee money. FCS teams usually get somewhere in the $350K-$500K range. G5 schools will get more than $1M in guarantee games.

nafselon likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sure, you get more in guarantees, but your expenses are so much higher in FBS because of staffing and scholarships— not only in football but in the other sports you have to add as a result.

10. nafselon

And if you're a program willing to hit the road for three games against P5 programs annually you can damn near pay off the budget for the program for that season. Plus it's not always a bad tool in recruiting for a Coastal Carolina type of program. "You will be remembered as one of the guys that beat Kansas!"

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Good point, though to be fair, the Kansas claim could be true of every FBS and 2/3 the FCS programs in the country with a motived schedule maker.

Wenders, 2muchcoffeeman and nafselon like this.
  12. nafselon

It's a long, but distinguished list :)

Draft saved Draft deleted