1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 2 NFL: Bills Go for State Championship of either New York or New Jersey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Sep 10, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Homer Jones had a big game for the Browns that night (I think). I remember watching that game, I was 16 at the time. Fair Hooker played for the Browns too.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's true, but that wasn't one of those times. The conspiracy theories about that game were among the dumbest things I've read on this board.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Here, I have to agree with JC. That call was ridiculously bad and it determined the outcome of the game.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Leroy Kelly did well. Jets were driving for a lead TD when Namath got picked. Well-known still (too lazy to look up and post) of Joe Willie walking dejectedly through the infield with dust kicking up.
    PS: Old person remembers. Our whole frat house was psyched for this. What I remember is that at 9, Keith, Howard and Dandy came on, Howard spoke for about 45 seconds, and bang, there went the kickoff. That's for the gamble of Arledge's career. He was really was a genius.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hate to point things out, but the first MNF game was Sept. 21, 1970, not 1969. Though I don't think people realize how novel it was for the game to have a 9 p.m. kick-off back then. The latest start time of an nfl game previously was the Super Bowl which kicked off at 3:40 est.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There was no conspiracy it was just terrible reffing.

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

That’s exactly when I said it was. What’s your point?

8. DanOregon

Wouldn't the 50th anniversary be next year?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He didn't say 50th anniversary. He said 50th season.

10. DanOregon

Wasn't making a big deal out of it - I guess I just figured if MNF was going to celebrate it with a Browns-Jets game, they do it on the anniversary. (But then again - I''m guessing they might not meet next year).

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Really? What time did West Coast teams play home games back then?

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

NBC left the Raiders-Jets at 7 p.m. for Heidi. So I'm guessing that game kicked off at 1 p.m. PST, 4 p.m. EST.

Bills games started at 1 p.m. when I was a kid, once the AFL finally settled on playing on Sunday. They had some Friday and Saturday night games in the formative years; the first Bills game I went to was a Saturday night matchup with Frank Tripuka (Kelly's dad) and the Denver Broncos.

Draft saved Draft deleted