1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

He had an odd career. The window is there, but he didn’t play in 72 and 73, went to the wfl for two years, which led back to the nfl. He then played a couple of CFL seasons and was done after 1980 until coming back with the USFL.

maumann likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

I don’t think it is Dwight Clark, but I will say it is Dwight Clark because that is the time frame/type or player the real answer is. I know who it is because I remember reading it as a kid, but my mind is blocking after Clark.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

No. EDIT: Two years after Dwight Clark's time. However, this person is still quite visible in the sport.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. maumann

Actually, Dwight Clark is actually two years older. Mea culpa. (Or would have been.) Did not realize he joined the Niners in 1979. But a great guess. Clark was recruited as a quarterback but I don't know if he actually played that position for Clemson.

5. cyclingwriter2

Cris Collinsworth. I kept trying to remember the book cover it was Kellen Winslow, Steve Largent, and I thought Clark. Then I remembered a Bengals uniform...and realized I had turned collinsworth into clark.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

Yes! Cris Collinsworth. Collinsworth was a freshman quarterback in Doug Dickey's triple option offense, recruited out of Titusville Astronaut High School (where he also won the state 100-yard dash).

I don't remember the exact details, but the Gators either muffed a punt or let the ball roll out at the 1 against Rice in Collinsworth's first game. Apparently going for the element of surprise, Dickey had Collinsworth hit Derrick Gaffney on a quick slant, and Gaffney outraced the Rice defense 99 yards for the touchdown. So the pass went about seven yards but Collinsworth gets credit for the whole yardage, and has a record that cannot be broken, only tied.

One of the few bright spots during my time a student! Yep, I was there that day. Tearaway jerseys! Artificial turf! Collinsworth, Gaffney and Wes Chandler, and yet Dickey could only manage to go 4-7.

Collinsworth moved to wide receiver the next season (and fielded kickoffs). He's one of the few players in the two-way era to have scored touchdowns in his college career as a passer, rusher, receiver and kick returner.

Dickey's starting "quarterback" then was Terry LeCount, who went on to a decent career as a WR for the Saints.

Four NFL receivers from a team that rarely passed. Go figure.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's one of the few players in the two-way era to have scored touchdowns in his college career as a passer, rusher, receiver and kick returner.

Tim Alexander at Oregon State did this as well.

maumann likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

Quasi obscure: who was the last NHL team to lose in the Stanley Cup finals to a non-NHL team?

9. maumann

Toronto St. Pats?

10. maumann

Seems like the Seattle Americans or Vancouver Millionaires or Victoria Cougars won one just after the NHL was formed.

11. cyclingwriter2

Cougars is the PCHL team that won it over the NHL.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

The core of which eventually became the Red Wings, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted