1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Dombrowski: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’d say yes
    Titles in both leagues plus a decade of excellence in Detroit and he built the early 90s Expos
    Being a dick doesn’t disqualify him

misterbc, CD Boogie and maumann like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't pass the "my kid and I will stop in front of his plaque in Cooperstown and I will wax poetic about him" test.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pat Gillick and John Schuerholz are from roughly the same time period, and both of them are in. Dombrowski's accomplishments as a GM are arguably right there with theirs, so I'd think someone could make a pretty good case for him.

maumann likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I always laughed that three years in a row the newspaper had the same layout, photo and headline.

cyclingwriter2 and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He has the bulletpoints mentioned to be inducted based on the role and prior selections....plus there's the chance he gets another shot somewhere and adds to it the resume.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Other than his stop in Montreal, his success was based on decimating the farm systems to bring in superstars at the end of their primes or by signing big-name free agents to above-market contracts and then leaving those organizations in ruins. If he legitimately built the Tigers, Marlins and Red Sox through scouting, drafts and player development like he did in Montreal, he'd have a better case. Or if he could put together a bullpen. Of course, I'm biased as a Tiger fan who's now wondering whether a decade-long run of good teams that never got over the top was worth what we're seeing now and for the foreseeable future. He did the same thing in Boston but at least they got a title out of it and as an organization, they're better positioned to recover from the Eovaldi, Sale, Price and Porcello deals.

maumann likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Tigers win it all in 2013 if Ortiz doesn’t homer
    Most of his trades worked
    Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Fucking Simon did not

maumann likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So he's Pat Gillick with one less title.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How many non-owning GMs are in the HOF?
    Branch Rickey, I think.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Interesting building model these days in Boston.
    There's got to be more to this than performance.

Draft saved Draft deleted