1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football, week 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Sep 3, 2019.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Agreed. Lots of big favorites on the road, including four of the top 6 teams playing out of state.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fresno State has a good core of 25-30K, that number going up with the bandwagon crowd. But the stadium, which turns 30 next season, is showing its age. San Jose is throwing a lot of money into new facilities, not just for football, but all sports, having in the last couple of years built an on-campus golf practice field, a softball stadium and a tennis complex that also hosts a stop on the WTA tour. San Diego, I've heard, is looking to build an on-campus stadium since whatever they're calling the Murph this week is just too big after the Chargers fled.

A lot of what's going on in the MW is in this link.

maumann likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“We’ve talked about the ingress, egress to the stadium and how our fans look for some way to help them with the vertical climb,”

I've seen some of the Fresno State fans. Vertical access is, I'm sure, very challenging.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Having covered a few games there, that's one step walk from the south end zone entrance to the press box, even for someone reasonably healthy.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Immediately no less. Hope it isn't health-related. Also think the timing is very weird. If it is related to the admissions scandal, I thought that was the purview of one of the dozens of assistant ADs in the building. Swann's job is making sure they football team is top 10. So two days after a nice win at Stanford?
    The dumbest thing USC did was allow a retiring Haden to remove the interim tag from Helton (at the behest of his departing seniors following a win over UCLA no less). Dumb.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not too weird; new sheriff in town and she wanted her own AD...who in turn will hire Lincoln Riley.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or Urban Meyer.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the school prez also was charged with cleaning up the mess at UNC - I can't see a Meyer hire. Even with the alums running that athletic department.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Have you ever tracked your performance vs. net winnings over a football season? I think I read that gambling is so seductive because the magic number for breaking even vs. the spread is something like 56% or 57%. That number looks small and attainable until, well, you try it for a while. Is it true?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We just got legalized sports betting last year, so this is only my second year actually betting on games. Last year, though, I achieved my goal of having a "self-sustaining" gambling fund where I basically played off my winnings for an extended period of time.
    I started with $60 at the beginning of the 2018 football season. Mostly betting $20 on single games and $10 on parlays -- and rarely betting more than $60 in any given weekend; I think the most I went in for in any week last season was $100 -- I wound up $170 ahead at the end of the college basketball season. I didn't track my actual record beyond some selected weekends that I remember for one reason or another.
    IIRC, I was up about $300 at the end of college football season after killing it on Thanksgiving weekend. I had a rough February betting college basketball and the NBA that whittled down my surplus, and I shut it down for the year after the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament.

So, long story short, I'm not tracking my record. For the long term I think more in terms of money won and lost. A month from now I won't be able to tell you my season record after I've bet another 15-20 games. But based on my betting patterns and the fact I'm still playing off of that original $60 buy-in, even after some frequent betting during basketball season, must mean I'm doing OK record-wise.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Vegas wasn't built off guys like you.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted