1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football, week 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Sep 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had two terrible experiences attending games at CSUF during the Pat Hill era, hassled by some drunken punk-20-something fans. The second time I was sure the opposing-team group I was with was going to get assaulted.

maumann likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Having worked in the area most of my time in the business, I can state that Fresno State fans are among the biggest frontrunners in college sports. They'll show up in huge numbers on the occasions a P5 school comes to the Central Valley, but struggles to sell out when it has bigger games against MW foes. For the TV folks, they're still milking the image of the little school that might, like when Dilfer's team beat USC in the Freedom Bowl, but that's been what, 25 years? Much like Boise State still milking the Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma.

Yet they're one of three CSU schools still playing football, along with San Diego State and San Jose State.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation, @micropolitan guy. I'm sorry that thuggery is condoned, and perhaps even encouraged, by the university's inaction towards that behavior. At least the Raiders have precedent on their side.

Even in 1976, I observed that Fresno State games seemed to be drinking contests sometimes interrupted by the game on the field, mainly because the product was awful and there was little else for students to do on a Saturday night. That was Jim Sweeney's first season.

From my view on the other side of the country for the past four decades, given the newer stadium and improved product, I assumed the "sophistication" of the fan base should have risen as well. As @HanSenSE has pointed out, that's obviously not the case. To be the worst frontrunners in a state that is the dictionary definition of the term is pretty jaw-dropping. I've been back for one game and had a positive experience, but I am disappointed to hear that's the exception rather than the rule.

Valley people are going to always Valley.

A line from Blazing Saddles comes to mind: "You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons."

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Really?!?!???
    The only reason to ever visit Ames is for VEISHEA, and that's only if you like to see drunken frat boys rioting.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Pitt-Pen State
    Kansas State-Miss State
    NC State-West Virginia
    Air Force-Colorado
    Bama-South Carolina
    Stanford-UCF
    USC-BYU
    Arizona State-Michigan State
    Iowa-Iowa State
    Florida-Kentucky
    Clemson-Syracuse
    Oklahoma-UCLA
    Texas Tech-Arizona

There is not a single ranked vs. ranked matchup.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Still much better matchups on the whole than this past weekend.

7. Della9250

I think I'd rather have
    LSU-Texas
    A&M-Clemson
    Stanford-USC
    Nebraska-Colorado
    Syracuse-Maryland
    West Virginia-Missouri
    Vanderbilt-Purdue
    BYU-Tennessee
    Arkansas-Ole Miss
    Miami-North Carolina
    Army-Michigan
    Cal-Washington

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really not saying much these days.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Re Maryland via r/CFB:

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Might not look like much but I guarantee at least one ranked team gets upset.

11. Della9250

True, but they won a combined five games the past two years.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But Fresno still supports its teams better than San Diego State or San Jose State, no? I an surprised San Jose State has not dropped the sport. No one misses Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Long Beach football and I think even fewer people would miss SJSU.

Draft saved Draft deleted