1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, especially Shannon.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have we talked about Justin Williams taking this year off yet?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Not sure it will be the full year. Could be a few weeks — if he decides to come back

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First inductee to be booed at his ceremony will be ...

5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What Elliotte said.

The whole thing worded from the Whalercanes' press release screamed "no one is sure yet." I think all Justin Williams did was buy himself a little more time, and the Whalercanes helped him do so with the media.

I think he wants to come back, but either is not sure he can do so physically or cannot get himself to do so no matter how much he really wants to.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Niklas Kronwall retired the other day
    It was expected but it’s a good career if a Swede introduces a new word to hockey’s lexicon — Kronwalled

OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A semi-important signing from the other day. Jake Gardiner to the Hurricanes, $16m and change over four years. Not a bad deal for Carolina IMO.

Still can’t believe the amount of big name RFAs still to be signed on Sept 8. Marner, Point, Laine, Rantonen. I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not sure if Gardiner is being plugged into Calvin de Haan's spot on the depth chart, or if this means that Justin Faulk is on the block - again.

Word had it that contract talks between Faulk and GM Don Waddell did not go well. Same scenario with Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin last year ... and they both got shipped in a hurry.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Waddell has interviewed with the Wild I hear, so I imagine you’re right about talks not going well.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am with you on all the unsigned RFAs.

Not close to the same level of players you pointed out, but because its my team, it looks like Rangers are going to go into camp without Brendan Lemeiux and Tony D'Angelo. The team made qualifying offers of $874K to each, and there isn't a lot of leeway beyond that even if the team was inclined to budge, because of how close to the cap they are even with the Shattenkirk buyout.

Lemieux brings an agitator quality, with a small bit of possible upside, and the team really needs a guy like that with their make up. But realistically, guys like that don't have much leverage even when they get past the RFA stage. The team is counting on a lot from D'Angelo, so they can't be happy if they go into camp with him unsigned. They essentially sent Neal Pionk away in the Trouba deal, because D'Angelo is a better version of that type of D-man. D'Angelo really developed nicely last year, with his immaturity seeming to be the biggest impediment to him being a pretty good player.

I am sympathetic to players in that no-win RFA situation, but at the same time, this is what the PA collectively bargained, and players rightfully are never shy about using their leverage when they have it, so you can't blame the teams for using it when they have it.

I am pretty excited to see how the Rangers start this season with all of the new pieces. Panarin and Trouba are obvious upgrades, and expectations are going to be high for Kakko, but Vitali Kravtsov may be something really special too, and it is looking pretty likely that Adam Fox will be able to step in immediately and hopefully make an impact. They are a much more talented, younger team, and they are deep in prospects beyond what will be with the team. The questions now are if things can start to gel and if the playoffs are realistic yet.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Mid-evening last night, I saw some rumor posts on Facebook about the Ducks possibly trading for Justin Faulk, with Ondrej Kase maybe going to the Hurricanes. Just rumors, except that it was Elliotte tweeting this so that gave it some substance.

Just for fun, I went to Faulk's page on Wiki and the intro states: Justin Michael Faulk (born March 20, 1992) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman. He is currently a member of the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League (NHL).

Draft saved Draft deleted