1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Killerman. Liam Hemsworth is a money launderer, loses his memory, gets chased by dirty cops. I can't believe it'll be in theaters long (in fact, I saw it at 2 today and it might be finished by now) but an enjoyable enough August flick. The highlight was some dude coming in with 45 minutes to go in the movie, plugging his phone into an outlet on the wall, bringing out multiple McDonald's bags, eating a few value meals and then raising the arms on each seat and taking a nap while sprawled out. Slept for about 20 minutes, then left with a few minutes still left in the movie, presumably to go to the one he actually had a ticket for.

Peanut Butter and Falcon. I really liked it, a friend of mine who reviews movies absolutely, positively loathed it. Like he wants the filmmakers imprisoned.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...for a third time! Second time was with wife (she didn't like it), third time was after I walked about 50 blocks on a hot Saturday afternoon in NYC and there was nothing else playing that appealed to me at this particular theater. Still love it. "But nothing happens!" as my wife said, but I could just watch them drive around to cool music for at least an hour (wait, that actually is an hour of the movie).

The other day I went to buy a ticket at one of my regular NYC theaters and the price was 26 dollars. What?! It's been 16 forever there (this is the non-lounge theater; that one goes over 20 but at least you can sit back). Apparently on popular new releases they jacked the price. Other movies were still 16. But this did finally get me to get the AMC A-list stubs thing. Three movies a week for 23 bucks. I see at least two a month so I'll definitely save money with it. And now, if I see Once Upon a Time again, I can consider it basically seeing it for free....

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

$26 for a movie.

Netflix and Disney+ will end movie theaters faster than I thought.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

But then, as I was sitting in a Regal Theater, watching the pre-promos, there was an a theater ad mixed in, promoting a new club deal for all the movies you want to see, any showings, anytime, for $23 a month. I don't go to the theaters often, but that seems like it could be a great deal if you're someone who makes movie-going their regular entertainment activity.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Daria Is It Fall Yet?

Still biting. Still funny.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I could see Once ... five weeks in a row on Monday nights at the closest theater to me and it STILL wouldn't come to $26.

6. Songbird

The zany but talented Richard Elfman is at it again 40 years later with Hipsters, Gangsters, Aliens and Geeks.

Richard began the Mystics of the Oingo Boingo before his little brother Danny took over and rebooted it into Oingo Boingo, the best band in L.A. in the '80s. Richard's first movie Forbidden Zone, from 1980, is about as bizarre and cuckoo as it gets ... but super artsy and funny and you can't turn away.

Give yourself 70 minutes ...

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

On plane rides across the pond:

Avengers Endgame, finally. I really wasn't all that invested in the Marvel Universe, but I got the general gist of what was going on and enjoyed it at least. If there's a time to watch a 3-hour plus movie, it's on a 7 1/2 hour flight.

Mid-90s ... a Jonah Hill produced movie about a kid who falls in with a skate crew and how it changes his life. Decent plot, well shot. Fine enough film.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

IT: Chapter 2. Long (longer than Once Upon a Time!). Like the book and the original TV series it's just hard to make the adult section as good, but I enjoyed the performances and some of the deviations from the book.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Bill Hader deserves a Best Actor nod. But he won’t get it. Because horror.

10. Songbird

He's from Tulsa!

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's my small town, @Small Town Guy!

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Finally watched Inglorious Bastders this morning when I couldn’t sleep. It was really good if not deep.

Draft saved Draft deleted