1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Newspeople Who Are Really Bad at Their Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Sep 6, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

RonClements likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'll bet if the black athletes wanted to bring along a couple of their pigment-challenged brethren (albeit only the really good white athletes), she would be fine with it.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Then how about making every journalism student in the country listen to old Bob Edwards tapes. I don't remember him asking leading questions and they were sure concise. And I actually am serious.

5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

People have asked me what I thought about that Jemele Hill piece.

I haven't seen her at a Florida Classic for quite the while now.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd say that's exactly what it makes her.

RonClements likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get really tired of people asking other people to make sacrifices they were unwilling to make themselves. And lets be real - even if the best players went to HCBUs, they still wouldn't get a sniff of a college football playoff with an undefeated season. It's about the name on the front, not the back in college. I've seen enough bad football in the past week to realize fans aren't watching for quality, but for loyalty.

maumann likes this.
  8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They wouldn't get a sniff of the College Football Playoff just like any other FCS school. There are no FBS HBCUs.

RonClements, Justin Rust and maumann like this.
  9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I get that. Maybe it was just the trend in the mid-aughts, what with the distaste for the Iraq War and the Bush era, but j-schoolers and non-j-schoolers alike were pining for a rabid truth-teller in the mold of HST, not so much Tom Wolfe. Wolfe seemed to play with stretching the truth, whereas HST was exacting and vengeful with that tool.

He was a hell of a writer and storyteller, and I have read damn near the entirety of his published works, but the ethos — his ethos — of “now let me tell you the REAL truth” underlies our worst failings in this profession.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Janet Cooke made up a story and won a Pulitzer - a complete fabrication from whole cloth.
    Fake News before a pumpkin-headed dipshit began braying it every day.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Where does Geraldo Rivera fit in this conversation?

Mitch Albom is really good at promoting Mitch Albom. But anybody but Mitch Albom would have been fired on the spot for making up quotes.

AP category: Doug Ferguson. (Not bad, but getting a Tiger mention in stories that have nothing to do with Tiger is incredibly tiresome.)

I'm trying to find an example of a nationally-known radio "newsperson" -- Limbaugh doesn't count -- who was bad. If you made it to CBS, Mutual or ABC in their heydays, you were pretty damn good.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that radio newsmen were generally good at their jobs. In part because it was not a visual medium and people tended to get hired for their skills.

I do think that many television sideline reporters are bad at their jobs. They frequently ask rambling, incoherent questions and rarely can ask a decent follow-up. I think this is due to the fact that they are gifted on-air presenters hired to ask questions. The skills to be a good presentor are different than the skills to be a good interviewer.

And I don't classify sports talk radio guys as "newspeople" but when they interview they frequently ask such leading questions that they circle their guest into agreeing with the host's opinion.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    gravehunter and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted