1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Newspeople Who Are Really Bad at Their Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Sep 6, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Peggy Noonan of the Wall Street Journal. She writes a column about discussing the state of the world with her dentist. And she quotes lots of wise old men and women. But never, ever, by name.

Yet she won a Pulitzer Prize

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    RonClements likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

CNN would be better without Cuomo, Blitzer and Acosta. Blitzer seems to be able to take a minute to say something that normal people could say in 10 seconds. The other two seem to make it all about them. For all the credibility and reputation that CNN has - have they broken anything on this Trump White House (that they didn't have to walk back?)

3. LanceyHoward

Off topic a bit but I think every serious journalist in America should be forced to listen to NPR until they learn how to ask a concise question. And if they would learn how to stop asking leading questions even better.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Amen!

5. LanceyHoward

A lot of CNN's credibility is no more than the fact that they try harder to be neutral than MSNBC of Fox. Which is a low bar but is where cable news is at in 2019.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

CNN will have no credibility as long as Jeff Zucker is in charge of the network. Nothing like hiring a failed entertainment exec as the head of a news organization.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Jayson Blair. Stephen Glass. Janet Cooke. (All famous FOR being really bad at their job.)

But in the actual spirit of the discussion ... Hunter S.Thompson’s bad was so much more detrimental to the profession than his good contributed. His inability to work sober and frequent grotesque exaggeration sold many folks an idea of journalism that only works when he does it.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I hate to agree with this, because I love HST’s work, but I think you’re right.

RonClements likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What about Tom Wolfe when discussing HST's influence? The pieces collected in "Radical Chic..." are very subjective and are presented as journalism. He doesn't talk about himself as much as HST, but it is clear he is writing a story.

OscarMadison and jlee like this.
  10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of NPR. I donate every month to the local NPR station and have for years and I listen every day....however, there are some NPR reporters who are guilty of asking leading questions, and it's not just a one-time thing. I've heard the same reporters do this numerous times.

Tweener likes this.
  11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

CNN? Credible? LOL

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted