1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 NFL: The Chiefs march to the Super Bowl begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 3, 2019.

1. SOOOO ready for kickoff ...
    Thursday, should be a great start. I like the Bears, unless it comes down to a FG to win.

I think the Chiefs and Saints are headed to the Super Bowl. But not before the Chiefs lose Sunday in Jacksonville. Saints will win.
    Dolphins season of tanking gets off to a healthy start with a loss to a mediocre Baltimore team. The team should have it's collective head examined if they are tanking for Tua Tagovailoa.
    Cleveland gets off to a good start.
    Giants to stun Dallas.
    Oakland survives it's opener with Denver.
    Colts top the Chargers.
    And what the hell .... The 'Burgh, wins in NE.
    Yeah, I said it.
    Brady and Coach Hoodie lose Sunday night. I know Steelers are like 0-6 in New England, but (finishes glass Kool-Aid), I have a feeling. this will be a win - probably a meaningless one down the road - for Pittsburgh.

Thu Green Bay Packers Chicago Bears
    Sun
    Atlanta Falcons Minnesota Vikings
    Baltimore Ravens Miami Dolphins
    Buffalo Bills New York Jets
    Kansas City Chiefs Jacksonville Jaguars
    Los Angeles Rams Carolina Panthers
    Tennessee Titans Cleveland Browns
    Washington Redskins Philadelphia Eagles
    Cincinnati Bengals Seattle Seahawks
    Indianapolis Colts Los Angeles Chargers
    Detroit Lions Arizona Cardinals
    New York Giants Dallas Cowboys
    San Francisco 49ers Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Pittsburgh Steelers New England Patriots
    Mon
    Houston Texans New Orleans Saints
    Denver Broncos Oakland Raiders

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure the Pats lose this week, but at some point in the first month or so they'll have a huge clunker and everyone will start the "Brady/Belichick era may be over" stuff, then the Pats will lose once or twice the rest of the season.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Chiefs defense will be better (really, it couldn't be worse), and Mahomes has new toys to play with, so K.C. ain't losing to the City of Blue Bridges Jaguars.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about Miami - it isn't like decent LTs grow on trees or whomever they pick next year won't want their blind side covered. Sure you can draft another LT - but why not just keep one who has already proven himself? Tge Dolphins have been a mess of an organization since Shula left.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is my theory that every NFL team every year has one game where they play about eight levels below their baseline performance, just an absolute stinker. The Pats in 2018 however, had two, getting boatraced by the Lions and even more thoroughly trounced by the Titans. That last one was in late October. New England was 3-5 on the road last year, which is not good. I am certainly not saying that'll get worse, but decided home-road differences for winning teams is one sign of encroaching age. But as long as the AFC East remains what it is, they have at least five easy wins penciled in before they start. Fun fact I read on Twitter somewhere. In the last 10 seasons, the Dolphins, Jets and Bills have combined for all of two in which their quarterbacks had passing stats above the league average. Two out of 30!

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Which team is gonna break people's survivor pools in week one with an unexpected loss? My money's on the Browns. You can't take the stink off a franchise that quickly. Too many new moving parts to hit the road running.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

as a jets fan, i must assert that this would be the sports equivalent of dividing by zero

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  8. The Titans O-Line is really bad. I mean awful when it comes to pass protection. Myles Garrett and the Browns should have a field day if Tenn. can't run.

9. I like Foles out of the gate and look for Jacksonville to run the ball and the clock to Mahomes off the field.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Patriots had a weird year last year. Their five losses all came against teams with nine wins or less. They lost to the 5-11 Jags and 6-10 Lions in back-to-back weeks, and had that loss on the lateral play to the Dolphins. Any other team that would have been a death knell, and a sign it wasn't their year. The fucking Patriots win the Super Bowl.
    This franchise will be in it until they're not.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Titans will be without left tackle Tayler Lewan, who is suspended the first four weeks of the season. His replacement is not good and Garrett should take great advantage.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Posted this elsewhere, but seven of the 16 playoff teams last year lost in week 1 - only two of those were to other playoff teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted