1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Valerie Harper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I watched a lot of Rhoda as it was on syndication during my latchkey child days. Super smart and funny show. The divorce with Joe was devastating.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

As a younger woman, she was stunning.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This sort of thing is unfortunately inevitable but I can't imagine a world without her and Mary Tyler Moore in it. Not as central figures, of course, but as people who would always be a living part of the cultural landscape.

misterbc and flexmaster33 like this.
  5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

This one got me.

BadgerBeer and HanSenSE like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

She was in "Blame it on Rio." Not that anyone noticed, considering the spectacular scenery in that show.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I somehow thought she had already died, a while ago.

I didn't watch Rhoda, and remember her more in the show she starred in with Jason Bateman when the latter was a kid, in the late '80s and early '90s. It was on for several seasons and went by a couple different titles -- "Valerie," "Valerie's Family" and "The Hogan Family."

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

The Mary Tyler Moore Show is classic and ground breaking, but the early seasons with Valerie Harper as Rhoda are the best right from the pilot episode.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Even as a comedy, Rhoda broke some dramatic ground with the play-by-play of a marriage falling apart. Rhoda and Joe Gerard were a popular TV couple, and it shook a lot of viewers back then to see the cracks appearing, then deepening, in the marriage. She played it quite well, as did David Groh.

Harper was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2009 and fought the good fight for nearly a decade. A ballsy lady who will be missed.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Exactly

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't it "The Hogan Family" after she walked away from the show over a salary dispute? I vaguely remember that being quite the mess. And Sandy Duncan was no Valerie Harper.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It didn’t get called The Hogan Family until she left after the second season.

Draft saved Draft deleted