1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I had mixed thoughts about Jack Ryan. The DC stuff and his relationship came across as simple. Jack Ryan is always the unexpected guy who figures things out and while he is handsome enough to get the girl. I liked the Middle East action much more, although it suffered from a little too much 'Jack Ryan and Greer save the world.'

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Loved Fleabag. Hot Priest is one of the best TV characters in a long time.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

A few shows I've watched recently:

Russian Doll - 2 thumbs way up. Not sure how the hell they are going to do a second season, though.

The Boys - very enjoyable, easy to binge.

Glow, season 3 - kind of meh and off on weird tangents (still not finished with it; in the past I couldn't wait to watch)

Lights Out w/ David Spade - kind of up and down and a bit scattershot at times, but I like his sense of humor so worth DVRing and watching later

Succession, season 2 - I binged watched Season 1 and liked it. Season 2 is OK but willing to give it more time

Righteous Gemstones - OK, but so far not at all what I expected (in a bad way). Looks like more Goodman in the next episode so maybe it gets on track to where I thought it was going to go.

Fleabag, season 2 - also 2 thumbs up.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, season 11 - as usual, hit & miss. Eddie Murphy is worth watching. Others are like 12 minutes. Martin Short also worth watching, wish there was more of him.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm mixed on the show ending. I certainly want more, but respect that's the story she wanted to tell and it's over.

Also, maybe because I'm a dope, I never noticed they never said her name until I was done watching it. She seems like a Maggie to me.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I would have gone with something ultra-British like Cressida or Phillipa.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I did think that the not naming the characters was a conceit which I didn’t quite get.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sweetbitter and Vida on Starz. Female centric. Both kept my interest for the 2 seasons each. A total of 14 episodes for each series at 1/2 hour an episode. Excellent acting, casting and writing. Sweetbitter is set in a restaurant in 2006, essentially Union Square Cafe in NYC. Vida about a Mexican community in East LA.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of assumed that "Fleabag" was a variation of "Phoebe." The more I think about it - walking away from the bus stop (in a different direction) and waving off the camera, her sister running to the airport...I guess I thought there would be more about Boo and that stuff that would be resolved if nothing else in a season 3.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I've been in car crashes that are more subtle than the first three episodes of Mindhunter

10. Webster

Not to give spoilers, but I thought they wrapped all of the Boo related stuff by the end of season 1.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Severian likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just thought they could have gone deep into their relationship.

12. Webster

My Succession pet peeve — they all would come to work through a garage, not on the street.

Draft saved Draft deleted