1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read the Bloomberg article on the Athletic. The article said the Athletic was paying from 55K to 120K. Though I would think that some of the big name, national writers make more.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Talk about a pay gap.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Oh god, F that. 55K? Do they sell you on “for the glory of it” too?

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I’d imagine those making $55K are fresh out of college living and working in college towns like Iowa City. Settle down.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, $55K in Ames, OKC, etc., goes a lot further than it does in Chicago and New York. But Sports Barf will jump at any opportunity, legitimate or otherwise, to shit all over The Athletic. It's kind of his thing.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Ok, you try and make 55k work in Oklahoma City and see how that goes.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Have you ever been there? I lived there.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seriously, go fucking troll somewhere else.

People put up with all kinds of shit on the Sports/News and Anything Goes boards. Be a twat there to your heart's content.

The Journalism Board had generally been viewed as sacrosanct. Don't shit all over the Journalism Board. You come across like a really dumb 17 year old who thinks he's clever. You're not clever or funny. You're just ignorant and annoying.

TigerVols, MNgremlin, wicked and 9 others like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You would make more than most teachers anywhere in the country with $55K.

10. drexler

drexler New Member

The phrase is "try to," not "try and."

HanSenSE and ondeadline like this.
  11. JPsT

JPsT Member

I mean...a quick Zillow search shows lower-end rent at $600/month with 1-bedroom apartments to be had in the hipper parts of town for $1,000 or so. The OKC median income is $47,004. Nerdwallet's Cost of Living calculator says it's 115% cheaper to live in OKC than in Brooklyn. I think you'd be on pretty solid ground.

Journalists (and other people) are making it work in much more expensive cities than OKC on much less money than 55k. I don't take joy in that, but your example sucks.

2muchcoffeeman and Tweener like this.
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of newspaper (or newspaper-like web) journalists out there makes more than 55k. That’s actually an interesting number.

I would guess most smaller dailies and certainly all weeklies would pay less, or only 55/60 at the very high end. That’s where I’ve spent most of my career and the only people cracking 55k (or even 45k, honestly) where I worked were low-level management, who were more ranging from 50-60k.

I would assume most larger dailies would pay more like 70-80k, with the truly elite landing spots (NYT/WP) at 80-150? Huge range as I’m not sure!

Heck, I probably wouldn’t expect to start at more than 55k at the Oklahoman, and maybe a little less for a non-premier beat.

55k to most under 40 and coming from anything short of a major metro daily probably looks pretty good, IMO. Maybe I was always getting screwed hard on salary though!

Writer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted