1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Seconding this. Logan Lucky is one of the best heist movies in years. Prove me wrong.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First time I saw Driver was with Stiller in While We're Young ... he was an interesting presence on the screen.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I liked Logan Lucky.
    I liked the Oceans movies better.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Best heist-at-a-racetrack movie is still 'The Killing.'

1956, directed by Stanley Kubrick - who co-wrote the screenplay with Jim Thompson.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I meant to clarify when I said years to include the last five or so years. I know there are plenty of really good heists films from decades ago.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching Shamus - an early 70s Burt Reynolds PI flick. Nothing special, but it is remarkable how many of the stunts Reynolds did himself.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For me, the heist picture really peaked in the 50s and 60s. Since then - with a handful of exceptions like 'Usual Suspects' and 'Die Hard' - we've made them bigger and louder but no better.

Having already mentioned 'The Killing,' of the oldies, 'Asphalt Jungle' and 'Rififi' are the best of the noirs.

Original 'Italian Job' is the best of the Brits. 'How to Steal a Million' for romance. 'Hot Rock' is the best of the comedies.

Honorable mention to the original 'Thomas Crown Affair' and 'The Getaway' in the Steve McQueen division.

Perfection of the form is still 'Topkapi.'

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm no George Clooney, but Adam Driver gives hope to a lot of people that non-conventional Hollywood face. He's killing it in perfect roles that don't play on his looks at all. Who in recent memory can compare? Even Benjamin Cumberbatch had a sex appeal, or so I heard repeatedly. Kind of like an Ed Norton for this generation.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ronin was pretty good.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed. But it loses steam when it gets to the figure skating.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Everything does.

garrow likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Since this is the film thread, I'll answer with this scene, from 'All The King's Men,' 2006. A portentous stinker starring Sean Penn.

Draft saved Draft deleted