1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Here is another opportunity for Regan MacNeil and Jr. to pile on. This time, I won't even blame you (I guess this may take some of the fun out of this for you, but please, have at it). I totally deserve it.

Yesterday, on Facebook I posted a link about Eddie Money being diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

One of my high school friends replied with "Looks like he'll be getting two tickets to paradise."

I replied "If he could walk on water..."

And the riffs went on a little longer.

Eventually, this other friend chimes in, ripping me for making fun of someone with cancer. She reminded me that her sister (a childhood friend of mine) died of cancer a few years back. She called me an asshole, a loser and a piece of shit.

Now, I really didn't look at what I was doing as "making fun of someone with cancer," however, I can understand why she felt that way. immediately I apologized. I told her she was right. That it was very thoughtless of me and while that was not my intention, I should have known better (after all, my mother died of cancer 4 1/2 months ago).

This was not some bullshit "I'm sorry if you were offended," apology. I really regret doing this and feel that yes, I was an asshole for doing it. She did not accept the apology. That's her right and she blocked me.

Is there any way I could make this right or is the damage pretty much irreparable?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just tell her you want to go back (go back) and do it all over, but you can't go back you know.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This is a safer place to be a dick than Facebook.

Time heals, but you are sort of fucked with her, but Ronnie Spector will eventually get over it.

Whatever will be, will be.

4. You did all you can do.

Move on.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

John T. Reed just kicked a wall and hollered “SNOWFLAKES!!!”

Alma and JC like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If you apologized, just let it go. You basically wrote on FB something that you and your closest friends might joke about, a sort of gallows humor. Ya can't please everyone. Sounds like she was looking for something to be offended by. If someone who is a friend of mine on FB says something inappropriate -- and for me to think so, you have to REALLY push it -- I'd be inclined to text them or IM them and tell them it's not a good look -- not eviscerate them from some holier than thou plateau in public.

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

You made a sincere apology and she refused it. You already tried to "make it right".

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Just buy her the good, green transmissiony fluid.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You magnificent son of a bitch.
    I bow in your general direction.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

How mad did you really get her?
    Was she shakin?
    Snappin her fingers?

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Whoa (oh, oh-oh)

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You did everything you could do to try to make things right.

I didn't read the apology, so I'm just basing this on what you said here, but I think I'd at least forgive you if you showed sincerity.

One of the tricks about humor is knowing where the line is and knowing when to cross or to not cross it.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted