1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Our species' love of bloodsport going back into pre-history is pretty well established.

I'm not sure I need or expect every sports writer to denounce themselves every time they want to comment on the human appetite for brutality.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We do agree the Andrew Luck story isn't really about that, right?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know a couple of former NFL guys and they describe the effort it took to get ready for each game and the pain which never went away. I agree that his timing places the Colts in a bind and it would have been optimal months ago but I think that there is a realization that once you don’t have the desire (and don’t need the money or status) that it’s ok to walk away.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Timing aside, I’d think a lot of the reaction from Colts fans stems from the management not being exactly forthcoming with Luck’s previous shoulder injury. They hemmed and hawed before finally admitting it was serious, coincidentally at the same time they announced he was out for the season..

Then the fans were told that it was a minor calf injury and that he would be fine very quickly. Then it turned into a little more serious, but he would be ready for training camp. Then after a few days of practice, he was going to be out for a few days, and would be ready for the season. Then they were told he would be practicing again in three days. Then they hem and haw a little more, and it turns out that it’s a serious bone issue, and the fans find out during an expensive glorified scrimmage that he’s retiring.

I don’t agree with the booing, but Colts management could have lowered expectations a little.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again, our culture merely presumes Colts brass lied.

I don’t think the Colts think they’ve lied. I think they’d say Luck has a different opinion about his health.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"Our culture." Why do you trust Colts management so much when it comes to being upfront about Luck's injuries? Yeah, Luck had an interest in making it seem like he was healthy, but so do the Colts. As Baron points out, there's plenty of hemming and hawing from Colts' management on his past injuries, and they're not exactly run at the top by a guy with a reputation as a straight arrow. Obviously, Luck has something to gain by portraying himself "stepping away from the game early because of injuries" vs. "not willing to deal with aches and pains," for example, but I find him to be more credible in general than management.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Big lurch right before the season, eh?
    Name the day in 2019 that Luck retiring wouldn't have left them in a big lerch.
    If he retired back on Feb 1, would the Colts have just ordered up a new all pro qb??

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Luck has been hurt a lot in his career, and the reaction of Colts management has been to downplay to the point of covering up every damn injury. PS: Boston sports media critic Bruce Allen tweeted on hearing of Luck's retirement "the curse of deflategate strikes again." He used to be a reasonable guy. Now just another shithead fan. In my 30 years of writing I noticed how the number of reasonable, cheerful fans declined slowly year by year. In the going on 15 years I haven't been writing for a paper, that process has accelerated at NASA-like speed.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Lack of perspective" is part of fandom. The only time fans are really serious about perspective is when an active player dies, then you get "this really puts games in perspective" for about 72 hours, then everyone's right back to being irrational.

I live in Indy (not a Colts fan but like to see them do well, it's good for business) and I'm disgusted by the booing like many, but the fans from other cities criticizing that can stop the holier-than-thou act. Every city would have pockets of fans reacting the exact same way.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This seems like a fitting spot for this piece by a second-generation D1 athlete ...

TowelWaver likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A bit heavy-handed, but there's no disputing some of his indictments of the football culture.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted