1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I can't see her situation with Wired ending well. It's owned by Conde Nast. It's a great magazine, but it's a corporate magazine. She hates white men, at least rich ones. She got fired from ESPN, came and went at Esquire, and made it less than two years at Deadspin. She keeps getting hired for a lot of good jobs, so she must be doing something right. I just don't get it.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

There are stretches of that blog post that could have been written by anyone -let me reframe that- any woman who has spent time working in digital media. Should she have published it? No. Wired might not blink, but the next site she tries to join might.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

People write things for effect more than ever these days. The effect is the point, for that matter.

A more conflicted, balanced view wouldn’t have generated readers. That’s Deadspin. Most of the writers I read there, I imagine they’re almost completely non-confrontational in real life. Confrontation is a writing style now. A posture.

OscarMadison, jr/shotglass and wicked like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I had the same thought.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Part of it is her Twitter presence is big enough to make noise when something goes wrong. If she wasn't as active, she'd likely not be in journalism.

I'm curious as to why, if she keeps getting fired, how she's failing upwards.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Boo f’n Hoo. Deadspin never thought the rules applied to them until they got sued into oblivion and suddenly needed those rules. I have no sympathy for Social Justice TMZ. Catch all the hands

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That was Gawker.

I think we're talking about different things? How is TMZ a SJW?

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

G/O Media Tells Deadspin Staff in Leaked Memo: Stick to Sports

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What a turd.

11. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Deadspin's writers have spent the entire day thumbing their noses at their new bosses, and now it seems management is striking back. Petchesky says he's been fired:

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted