1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morning, Peeps!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rod Short, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Rod Short

Rod Short New Member

Greetings from beautiful downtown Bedford, VA (located in between Roanoke and Lynchburg). Sports reporting is more than a full time job and one thing's for sure, you'll never be bored! There are always surprises!

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hi, Rod. Great to meet you. Had a few friends in Bedford. Nice quiet little place.

Welcome to the board, and fetch me a beer.

Liut likes this.
  3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Give it a few seasons.

Liut likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Expect I-81 to be shut down in both directions for snow at least once every winter. However, there's a ton of cool small-town colleges (and VT) in your neck of the woods. Always thought Roanoke was neat place to retire. Drive the Blue Ridge at least once a month.

5. Rod Short

Rod Short New Member

Nah, already been in the area for ten years. Between this gig, writing as a freelancer for car magazines and mowing three acres of grass every week, I've got all I need to do.

6. Rod Short

Rod Short New Member

Actually, I-81 is shut down usually every day from accidents. I try to avoid it at all costs. Also, doesn't snow like it used to. Not worried about that.

7. Rod Short

Rod Short New Member

Sorry, we do moonshine in these parts. You like peaches?

jlee likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like that answer.

Welcome.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Grandpa made shine from peaches. Filled up a 55-gallon drum and let it work until the pits were at the bottom and everything else was liquid. Then took it to a guy who had a still. First run was pure alcohol with decreasing levels as it went along. I still have about three good shots left.

After grandpa's funeral, I had all my cousins taking shots of it. This pissed off his widow, and she and my mom poured 25 or so bottles of it down the drain. I was so fucking pissed.

10. Rod Short

Rod Short New Member

I get that!

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I came to moonshine late. But last fall, there was an apple festival in Biglerville, Pa., and it had a moonshine stand that included peach moonshine. Never would have guessed how tasty.

Draft saved Draft deleted