1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

In the 70s and 80s it was a cute little diversion in late August, when Wide World of Sports would show the team from Chinese Taipei beat the crap out of some American team (until Cody Webster came along in 1982). But the wall-to-wall coverage now, including the regionals? I simply don't get it.

And I always wonder how many people think it's actually some sort of meaningful national tournament crowning the best team of 12-year-olds in the country, when in fact most of the best 12-year-olds aren't playing Little League, but for some other organization; most of the high end kids are already immersed in the traveling baseball insanity. The Minnesota team which made it to Williamsport this year didn't face that tough a road; there were only 11 communities in the entire state which competed in regional play.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

All of this.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My issue has always been that the teams are All-Stars, instead of the team that won the league title.

It basically just makes the Little League season one long tryout for the All-Star team. And that’s if the community doesn’t make a glorified AAU team that spends the whole year together practicing.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The LLWS and the International at Broadmoor with the Stableford scoring always signified the end of summer for me.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So Newton gets two cheap shots and then gets hurt on the third (quite legal) shot against the Pats. If I'm the Panthers coach, I say our entire defensive game plan for the 10-15 plays he's still in there is to hurt Brady as badly as possible. But of course that didn't happen, because beneath their manly facades, most NFL coaches are wimpy middle managers. Belichick really IS beyond good and evil. That's why he wins.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Packers' first-round pick was just carted off playing on that joke of a field in Winnipeg.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Matt Nagy's policy of sitting everyone of consequence in the preseason.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From everything I'm seeing on Twitter, the game in Winnipeg is an epic flustercluck.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are they playing on a shortened field? Why?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is the Raiders' home game.

Why didn't the Packers just pack up and get on the bus?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Have you seen the exchange rate lately?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There were concerns about field conditions around where the goalpost on a CFL field were.

Draft saved Draft deleted