1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers gets $14.5M from LA Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Also, if a journalist is getting any sort of buyout upon being forced out, that buyout will be contingent on agreeing not to sue. So he or she has to decide, "I could take the $20,000 [or whatever] now or hope to win $200,000 later." But most employment lawyers will tell you these suits are harder to win than you might think. And the lawyer will likely want fees in addition to the contingency unless it's a particularly juicy case.

Tweener likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Even if it is true that Simers' lawyers were able to pin this on Simers' age -- because of his age -- his firing wasn't about age. It was about salary.

He was productive and perfectly capable of doing his work, very well, no matter his age at the point he left; he proved that, to the Times' satisfaction, for as long as he was there. So I actually think he was fortunate to win this case on that basis.

Just as an aside, he won enough to make his salary for another 60-plus years. Yeah, this was about salary.

I'm glad he won, as others have said, for the principle of the thing, but it's a rather exorbitant award in his case, and really, kind of disappointing in that.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really surprised some of the editors and other higher ups or middle managers haven't spilled the beans about how Gannett stiffed reporters with the review system. Figure enough of them have been binned by now.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus, you really don’t understand why big sums are awarded, do you?

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You've got something there. Surely some former Gannett suits are disgruntled and would acknowledge being reprimanded for giving out good grades. One allegedly had to give poor grades to keep raises down. Put them out of business.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Dan you have something here. Go for it. Put Gannett out of business.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I believe I do, although you can enlighten me if you'd like. But it's still off-putting.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I find it amazing that a journalist could win any jury award. But if it’s going to happen, the winner will be a celebrity, big-market columnist. I’m guessing that a night cops reporter wouldn’t get much in the way of just compensation no matter how strong the case.

WriteThinking and Tweener like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hmmm. My neighbor's a highly successful class action lawyer, especially in white-collar industries. If y'all think a CA against a newspaper chain is worth exploring, hit me up.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

*Takes out popcorn*

Tweener likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree but how do they fight back other than suing?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I came home today to a settlement check from Wells Fargo for $14.65. Going out to lunch tomorrow!

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted