1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the United Way spiel coming shortly after the unpaid furlough announcement.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"I was going to give part of my bonus, but all that's left is the half-eaten crust and some pepperoni bits."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, and especially fuck the "jail-in" fundraisers they hold where the "quasi-local celebrities" are supposed to raise money from friends to "get out of jail."

As an ME of a small small 5-day daily some 30 years ago, one morning I was informed I was being "arrested" and had to pay $500 to get out.

My take-home pay at the time (after rent) was barely $500 a fucking month.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I used to work for an AD who wanted 100 percent participation in giving to the university foundation. If the boss is asking, it's no longer voluntary.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You better believe it’s fucking optional. If it’s coming out of your pocket, it’s optional.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So the boss will be donating an equal amount to the charities/non-profits that are important to me? And every other employee?

Oh.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What is the difference in annual payments from the conference to the individual schools? I thought they were pretty similar.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can Maryland's Mike Locklsey double his career win total, this season? He is at 3-31

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Amateur Athletics.
    Bunch of fucking crooks.
    All of them.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always enjoy trying to figure out which top 10-15 team in the pre-season poll is going to disappoint enough to get their coach fired. Texas? LSU? Ohio State? Michigan? ND?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hope not. I have Maryland under 3.5 wins.

I absolutely love win totals. Here is what I have wagers on:

OVERS:
    Colorado State 3.5
    Wyoming 5.5
    Minnesota 7.5
    Syracuse 7.5
    Missouri 8.5
    Cincinnati 7.5

UNDERS
    Stanford 7
    Wisconsin 8.5
    Bowling Green 3.5
    Maryland 3,5
    Colorado 4
    Florida 9
    Texas 9.5
    Iowa 7.5
    Washington State 8
    Arizona State 7

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia.

Put them in whatever order makes you feel smart.

The preseason AP Poll went this way on Monday: 1. Clemson 2. Alabama 3. Georgia 4. Oklahoma

Fine.

Whatever.

Go ahead and pencil three of those four teams into the College Football Playoff. I would love to be wrong at the end of the season, but y’all know it’s true.

Last year, all four of those teams should have been in the CFP, but the committee was feeling nostalgic for Notre Dame. And look how that turned out.

Before the season even starts, we already know who’s making it to the postseason. At this point, college football is about as rigged as the ring toss at the county fair."

He's not wrong.

College football is broken, but there’s a fix

Draft saved Draft deleted