1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee Trevino Features

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Aug 20, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Ringer did a feature today written around the 35th anniversary of Lee Trevino's last major victory.

An Ode to Lee Trevino on the 35th Anniversary of His Final Major Win

There is much to admire about Trevino. This is a guy who came out of the caddie shed to become a great golfer, despite only getting onto the PGA tour at age 28. I especially admired Trevino because he thought the guys who ran the Masters were, to be charitable, a bunch of self important jackasses,

But Trevino was also a guy who carefully crafted an image as the "Merry Mex", similar in personality to that of Guillermo the doorman on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. The Ringer piece basically buys that line. For a really good, and far more nuanced article on Trevino, I offer the following from the SI Vault.

Lee Trevino, Midnight Room 170, Holiday Inn, Pensacola, Fla.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Brian Shoemaker likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good story, podnah.

The SI story was good. Didn't read the Ringer story.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

IMO, two of the most underappreciated golfers with fascinating stories are Lee Trevino and Gary Player.

Go ahead ... flame away ...

EDIT: Seve Ballesteros probably belongs up there, too.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  4. Read the Ringer piece and thought it was garbage.
    Part where author quoted Bernhard Langer telling a story about Trevino, he heard second hand, did me in.
    What the fuck?

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The SI Vault story nailed it.

6. Sam Mills 51

Correct. That's all I read before posting the first time.

The Ringer is continued proof that someone really overvalues Bill Simmons. And that someone is still asleep at the switch. Who green-lighted that crap?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No argument here, though Player has turned into a bit of a windbag in recent years with his constant reminding that he does 1000 or something sit-ups a day and his claim that he has more airline miles than anyone in history.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree. But I have never seen a good feature on Player exploring anything other than his public persona.

9. PGA Tour version of Sally O’Malley.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Billy Casper was unlucky to be merely very good when Palmer/Nicklaus/Player were great. And Lanny Wadkins gets overlooked, perhaps because of the one major win (and The Players).

11. Sam Mills 51

I wish Lanny would say something about slow play. He never messed around during his playing days ... there were times he almost looked like he never broke stride while hitting his approach shots and putts.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted