1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers gets $14.5M from LA Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will this be a best-of-3?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All do respect, isn't this what every newspaper/business does when they want to shove someone out the door for age or other reasons? Hell, I think it's in the Gannett SOP.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm telling you ... journalists aren't suing enough. There are a lot of age discrimination suits available out there. Journalists tend to be so pragmatic they figure, "Ah, it will cost me a ton of money to get lawyers and the big corporation will just beat me in the end." So journalists don't try to sue. I'm telling you. Smart lawyers would be calling reporters after they get axed because age discrimination is rampant, folks. You are just for the most part unwilling to sue.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So maybe these journalists shouldn’t just roll over and take it.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Suing someone for millions often costs money, which few journalists actually have. Simers made a good living ($234K/year), so he had the ability to do what few others can.

I really think it’s that simple. Most who were pushed out would take their former publication for everything if they could.

RonClements likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This might be good enough for Page 1 (not a Phil Collins reference).

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Damn, maybe I should have been nicer to him during his cup of coffee with the OCR.

Tweener and MileHigh like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd happily fill out one of the post cards to participate in a class-action against Gannett for suppressing wages with bogus reviews.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The laws regarding employment, both wages and discrimination related, usually allow for a plaintiff to recover attorneys fees and, more importantly, a doubling or trebling of damages. I don't think lawyers would bill hourly on something like this. He may have had to pay for his appeal.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I believe his lawyer took the case on contingency.

12. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Simers as a person, he did the Lord's work here. Now anyone who wants to sue their current or former newspaper employer has an important new club in their legal bag.

Fredrick and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted