1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Context when necessary. If I’m covering Legion baseball on a 92-degree night, I’m sure as hell wearing shorts.

maumann likes this.
  2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That seems like an excellent landing spot. I love Wired's stuff.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

No surprise she got scooped up somewhere.

Hopefully, when the layoffs at Deadspin do arrive, her staff land on their feet.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

She got out just in time. Deadspin will be unrecognizable within a year, and not in a good way. Magary has talent and a following, so he's set.

The rest of them will just get gobbled up by former Deadspin/Gawker staff at other sites.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My first job out of college, I showed up to work wearing what I would to my internship. It wasn't hobo status, but slacks and a shirt you'd wear out to a nice but not fancy dinner. I immediately had the publisher creating a scene because no one told me the dress code: button-up shirt and tie. I made a quick trip to Walmart very shortly there after.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Regan MacNeil

I read it. It was good.

Severian likes this.
  9. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

I read it. She spends an inordinate amount of time writing about how much better the politics/culture stuff does than the sports stuff does in terms of legitimate traffic, which makes me wonder if she just gave the new owners the roadmap to simply erasing Deadspin once and for all and just remaking the place as a politics/culture site.

Apart from Magary twice a week or whatever his schedule is, I click on basically nothing there anymore. There's not much to differentiate it from everyplace else (I guess they swear more). It's the same aggregation, only the Deadspin writers are significantly lazier at it than everyone else, a problem that got worse under Greenwell, even before the new owners came in. I'm not sure what the audience is for that along with Laura Wagner screeching about something over 60 in-dire-need-of-editing inches.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I cannot believe that blog.

I remember the first time I left one job for another. The person hiring me said, “Don’t do anything on your way out that might make me second-guess me bringing you here.”

If I ran Wired, I wouldn’t like that.

One of my non-media buddies read it and said, “it kind of defeats her point about how bad the company is, because they let it get published.” He said his company would never let their most-beloved employee post anything anywhere close to that on a website they owned.

11. Regan MacNeil

I don't know that they have a choice but to let it get published, per the union contract.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure Wired couldn't care less and I don't mean that as a compliment to Wired.

I feel for Greenwell, in the sense that something important was lost. But, generally, Deadspin folks are like alien life forms to me, and I, I am quite sure, to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted