1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yes.

No newsroom I, or any journalist I've known, ever had a dress code.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've worked at the same small-town shop for 20 years, through two ownerships (family- and corporate-owned), and we've always had at least an inkling of a dress code. It's never been as strict as requiring a suit, but it has always boiled down to, "Don't dress like a slob, and dress appropriately for wherever you are."
    If I'm spending most of the day in the office, then it's generally understood that business casual is fine.
    An "I Farted" T-shirt and bike shorts probably are not fine.
    As long as the dress code is reasonable, it's not an unreasonable expectation of someone who purports to be a professional.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's not a lot to ask. But it's ridiculous, in this era of complete collapse, to codify a dress code.

If someone leaks that people at Deadspin were in fact coming to the office in "an 'I Farted' T-shirt and bike shorts," then I guess a memo wouldn't be uncalled for. But I'm guessing that's not the case. It's pointless corporate overreach and navel-gazing.

Severian likes this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The backlash to the rather vague dress code is strange to me. That seems pretty standard to me. I’ve had some sort of guidelines at every office I’ve worked in.

At one, it was rarely enforced. I was probably often in violation by wearing shorts in the summer, but they were never ratty and I always had a shirt with a collar. Never heard a word, though I know a few coworkers did on rare occasion.

At another shop, a coworker was forced to go home one day and to thereafter follow a strict dress code because he couldn’t manage to wear clean clothes. (Wore slacks and button ups... just the same ones every day, without washing...)

Anyway, if the deadspin policy was being strictly and aggressively enforced, guess I’d think that was excessive but a vague policy buried in the employee handbook doesn’t shock me at all.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps we're of the same generation, I never had dress codes at the places I worked. But I understand if things have to be more spelled out now. I can't muster much outrage for it, given all the other issues in the biz.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would be interested to see an iteration of Deadspin without Magary's infantile rantings.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My first job out of college (small-town news reporter), I wore jeans on the regular. I soon found out that they were against the dress code, the code which no one had told me about.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My understanding was you were supposed to dress similar to the people you cover, so if you were gonna be going to night meetings then dress smart casual, going to a sports event, dress like a slob, etc.

But shorts, T-shirts or flip-flops worn by reporters covering Town Hall? Absolutely fucking not.

Liut likes this.
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Small daily a few miles south of my first job had a dress code, at least the sports dept. Paper has a circ of maybe 30k when business was good. Sports reporters had to wear shirt and tie. Even to summer league baseball games.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You can't cheer in the fucking press box and I sure as shit don't want to hear your fucking "shoes" or sandals.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If you invest in nice golf shirts and nice dress slacks, you really cannot go wrong. Dress slacks are more comfortable than jeans, especially when it's hot out.

You usually can find golf shirts at a TJ Max or something like that for about $20, and they are long. Being tall sucks when it comes to buying shirts.

Just don't wear the color of the other team.

Batman likes this.
  12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Megan landed quickly on her feet. Guessing her job with wired.com was in the works before she unloaded on Deadspin.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted