1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I started wonder when Charlie Daniels went from the protagonist of Uneasy Rider to the person he is today.
    I found a live version of him in either 80 or 81, and he had already changed to the words.
    Instead of "who owns this car with a peace sign" to "car with a gun rack" and "tearing Wallace stickers off the bumpers of cars" and "voted for George McGovern" to "Reagan stickers" and "voted for Jimmy Carter."
    He also changed Mario Andretti to Richard Petty ... which was always odd because Daniels is originally from North Carolina.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

What do you listen to? Let me guess... boys bands, The Weather Girls, Barbra Streisand.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Completely beside the point: Whoever did the marching band arrangement for, "It's Raining Men" was a genius.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Paul Shaffer was one of the songwriters

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I hate his politics, but the CDB's "Fire on the Mountain" and "Nightrider" are two outstanding albums, certainly in the top 10 of what is generally considered Southern Rock.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Watch this...

No shit...

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite beavis and butthead lines ever was from this clip.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I just cannot stand Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers. I grew up listening to punk/post-punk/alternative and those two bands were among those to be mocked. I came around on some, but I have a white-hot hatred for Skynyrd and the Allmans. And I love country music.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My version, exactly.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that I have no idea what is going on in the posts about Paul Shaffer and Black Sabbath.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Opening image in the video is a large purple bald man with glasses. In an old beavis and butthead, one of them goes:
    “What’s Paul Schaefer doing in a Sabbath video?”

Every time they see the bald guy, the reaction is akin to “aaahh, it’s Paul Schaefer.”

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I grew up exactly the same way. Then I heard the Allmans and discovered I actually like them. Never came around on Skynyrd.

Led Zeppelin occupies that rare space of being (a) pretty damn good and (b) wildly overrated. I learned to appreciate them relatively late, mostly because I believed fervently in high school that liking Led Zeppelin labeled you as a moron.

Draft saved Draft deleted