1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/copy editor — Little Rock, AR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jason Yates, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette — the statewide newspaper located in Little Rock — is seeking a versatile member for our sports desk.

The ideal candidate will be adept at designing sports pages and editing copy, although candidates who lean heavily one way or the other are encouraged to apply.

Applicants should be familiar with InDesign and AP style.

Our seven-person sports desk thrives on versatility. Members of the desk occasionally assist in reporting, and turning an SID’s news release into a sports brief is common for the job.

Experienced and entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply. Out-of-state candidates will be considered.

Little Rock is the capital city of Arkansas with a population of nearly 600,000 in the metro area. There are plenty of entertainment options inside the city, and various state parks and outdoor activities are within an hour’s drive. The area has a little something for everyone.

Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and design samples to Assistant Sports Editor Jason Yates at jyates@arkansasonline.com, or mail your material to 121 E. Capitol Ave., Little Rock, AR, 72201, attention Jason Yates. References will be needed upon request.

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This feels like this one opens a lot ... or is it just me? Nothing against these people in particular. Just feel like I’ve seen it a lot lately.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It closes a lot, too.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Also a valid point.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

A seven-person sports desk? Don't know much about the specifics of the situation there, but that's a good-size desk for this day and age. Even with occasional reporting and news release rewriting thrown in.

The paper also isn't owned by Gannett or Gatehouse (at least not for now), so that's a point in its favor.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Wehco's talked about going digital-only, so I'm not sure that's good news for any deskers who are design-heavy.

7. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

Here is an article detailing the unique approach our owner, Walter Hussman, is taking toward going digital. I will be happy to discuss this initiative with any job candidate who applies.

Arkansas newspaper looks to free iPads as its future

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just spitballing here, but would imagine a couple of reporters are based in Fayetteville.

9. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Tread lightly, folks!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Are all 7 full-time?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arkansas is full of old people, which is why the Dem-Gaz is holding its own (relatively speaking) in circulation. It’s climbing the list of papers nationwide only because others are plummeting. So the size of the desk shouldn’t be a surprise, although I’m not exactly going out on a limb by saying it’s not going to get bigger.

Draft saved Draft deleted