1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No. I don’t know if players are illegally juiced or on PED against the rules. But no one is impersonating Brady Anderson or putting up Bonds, McGwire or Sosa numbers.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Refreshing to pop into the dreaded ESPN Sunday Night Game and not see the stupid K-Zone box live. Yes, as usual, I still have it on mute because of the dreadful announcers.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jorge Soler's career high in home runs is 12. He has 35 this year with a month and a half to go, which is a pace for 46. Please note I am in no way suggesting that Soler is using PEDs, but isn't that similar to Anderson's power surge that came out of nowhere?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anderson SLG went from .815 to 1.034 in the season he hit 16 to 50 HRs. Soler has merely has gone from .820 in 257 PA to .900 in 514 PA. Given the chance to be an everyday player may have something to do with it. OTOH ...

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I hate siding with Abbott, but there's probably better guys to use against him than Soler. He's always had sick power; he just couldn't ever stay healthy, is poor on defense, and was blocked on the Cubs. It was between him and Schwarber and they chose Schwarber.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Max Kepler might be a better extreme example to use.

I think the biggest change comes at the smaller incriments. Guys who hit 5-10 homers are now hitting 20-25. There have been a lot of swings, regardless of the player, that in the past were flyouts, and not necessarily deep flyouts, but now go 15 rows deep.

Stevie Wilkerson is 27 years old. He made the majors last year and did not homer in 46 at-bats. In over 1,500 minor league at-bats, he hit 22.

He has 10 this year in 262 at-bats

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Soler couldn’t stay healthy and was poor on defense so they went with schwarber?

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yes. They believed more in Schwarber's bat. Also, Soler has had multiple nagging injuries. Schwarber was hurt once during an outfield collision. Slight difference.

9. Guy_Incognito

I understood what you meant, just thought it was funny.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

*Shrugs* Baseball is weird, and it seems like this stuff happens over and over again. The Twins kept the combination of Mientkiewicz, Matt LeCroy, Bobby Kielty and Justin Morneau over David Ortiz, for their 1B/DH mix.

11. Guy_Incognito

Morneau won an MVP (not that he deserved it, but still...), Doug M. Was a glove, Keilty had great peripheral stats - Aaron gleeman on his early, teenage blog picked him and johan Santana as the two underused rookies who just needed a chance, and LeCroy could catch. Most importantly, Ortiz started taking steroids.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Just saying, if you gave the Twins a redo on this, I think they keep Ortiz and jettison Minky. I'd put it in the "defensible, but ultimately wrong" category, to be clear, and not the "this is a bad decision immediately" category, like Bagwell-for-Anderson. (And, no clue if Schwarber or Soler will ultimately end up better, but it's defensible why the Cubs would have wanted Schwarber over Soler.)

Draft saved Draft deleted