1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Holy fucking fuck.

"The G/O handbook declares that the company can search employees’ “personal vehicles, parcels, purses, handbags, backpacks, briefcases, lunch boxes,” review all electronic communications made on company property, and disclose those messages to others if the company deems it appropriate. The new rules also strangely allow the company to access reporters’ “tweets” and bars employees from using encrypted email programs—a common tool journalists often use to protect highly confidential sources.

Perhaps most bizarrely, the handbook also establishes an attendance policy and a dress code. Employees must arrive between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., according to the handbook, and are required to wear “smart casual” attire."

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An attendance policy and dress code is the most bizarre thing here?

Sports Barf likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Strong end. Your monies happiness is all that monies.

But despite the internal turmoil and Greenwell’s exit, the company has recently garnered positive attention: Deadspin was nominated for its first national magazine award earlier this year and, according to Comscore data, it reached 17 million unique visitors in June—a record for the site.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I for one can’t believe that Wags would’ve gone into the hit piece on the new ceo with predrawn conclusions or that said ceo would question the piece. How vapid!

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Too bad. Beadle and Jalen and Chauncey are strong with Pierce playing the goofus.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nobody cares.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Repeatedly asked to comply and commit, with failure to do so leading to a lost job?
    Sounds like what happens when you get on the wrong side of the Twitter mob. any day of the week.
    "No choice but to leave?" It most certainly was her choice.
    Boo freaking hoo.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm failing to understand how establishing core hours and a pretty liberal dress code is "bizarre."

BurnsWhenIPee and ondeadline like this.
  11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Casual dress code is bizarre to these people? Holy hell, what are these people at Deadspin uses to wearing to work? Sweatpants? Do they all walk around naked in the office or something?

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Have you ever worked at a journalism shop with a dress code? I haven't.

I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely asking. I've never heard of such a thing. I was devastated when MLB banned flip flops from press boxes.

Severian likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted